• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question about shooting a .308 AR suppressed?

palmettomoon

Army Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 1
NRA Life Member Wayne LaPierre & Chris Cox Hater
227   0
Reaction score
I noticed the BC was dinging the receiver extension (rifle tube) so I'm going to swap out the spring for an extra power and use a rifle buffer instead of the heavy short 308 carbine buffer. I was getting some FTEs and rarely a light strike shooting a Heads Down Arcadius.

A 5.3 ounce rifle buffer should be a bit better than the 3.8oz buffer, no? Using an Omega 300. Ejection is in the right arc when it works. I'm taking a mixture of buffer weights and springs to the range to see if anything works better than the 3 wire coiled Geissele Super 42 spring and rifle buffer combo.

Am I forgetting something? Not used to shooting a semi rifle suppressed, mostly bolt guns.

Adjustable gas block for AR10's work good if done correctly. Tune it to cycle with the cheapest ammo you can find and then add a little more gas for reliability (unsuppressed). Also know that the mag you use for AR10 can make a difference. Metal mags seem to have less resistance drag than PMAGs on the BCG so tune with what you are going to use. If you are going to start swapping buffers and springs, only do 1 at a time to help eliminate what is causing any failures. Also, only fire a single round each time to check for locked back BCG. Failing to lock back on single round will give you grief later when it gets dirty and hot.

Almost all AR10 platforms are over gassed. I would add an adjustable gas block. Especially if running suppressed. Makes a world of difference.
Plus a new one: Link
Finally got around to installing a Riflespeed adjustable gas block. Had to settle for a cheapo handguard but it seems to be working okay. Function with suppressor is 100% now on setting 1. Has 11 more to fully open. Accuracy seems much improved.
20220720_184511.jpg
20220720_184528.jpg

Back
Top Bottom