• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question about stolen Motorcycle

NWSharpshooter

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
563   0
Reaction score
A few years ago I had a motorcycle stolen from my home in New Mexico. As it was not being ridden and it was paid off I had no insurance on it, and I had the tag suspended.

We filed a police report and that was that. I have never heard anything about it.

Today I was going through my titles and saw the title to that bike. I ran a comman vin check and found it for sale in a salvage yard up in Minnesota. I contacted the salvage yard and they told me that it sold at insurance auction 2 years ago and they no longer had it. They wouldn't give me any other information about it.

My question is this. If it sold at insurance auction that means that somebody had to have gotten a bonded title on it. How would I go about finding out who bonded that title? If I could find who issued the title bond, couldn't I file a claim against that bond since I am the legal owner of the motorcycle?

Contact New Mexico DMV / State Police and Minnesota DMV / State Police and see if they will run it down for you. Find the person who re titled it and the insurance company that sold it and turn up the heat.

yes. if you can track down the bond. i would try and find your case #. then contact the detective, make him do the leg work. the bond is insurance against it being stolen...

Scott,
From a le standpoint the whole thing hinges on being able to track down the current physical location of the bike. Once that's done the local police/sheriff in that jurisdiction simply verifies the vin/stolen status in NCIC and impounds the bike. The agency that filed the initial stolen report and entered the bike on NCIC would be contacted by the them and they would be responsible for arranging the details so you could take possession of the bike.

Hope you get it back buddy!

the bike was sold at a salvage yard. regardless once the salvage yard sold it( if it was a legal sale) he has no ownership of the bike. but, if it was bonded... the bond would pay out to him, the rightful owner. but the drop occurred when the system failed to catch it. this is a little bit of a sore subject with me. i had two bikes stolen from my house in a three week stretch. the detective, after the second one was kind enough to sat "oh yea, if they get away, they almost always come back if there is something else they want. always within a few weeks". after # 2 i set up a bait bike and a camera. if they had said there was a chance of them coming back, i would have done it on the get go...
never found, never followed up with me...
contact the sheriff's office/pd dept. in the town/county it was stolen in. tell them the info you found, tell them you want to know 1. if it was bonded. 2. how was it bonded. 3 how it went thru an auction with a stolen vin. 4 why you did not get contacted. 5. what they are going to do about it...
they have the resources to get those answers, they owe you the answers...
good luck, at least you have some (albeit crappy) closer.
what was the bike?
mine
1. 1996 gsxr 1100 full custom stunt build ( bike i used in shows ans comps)
1. 1990 cbr 600 practice/ backup stunt bike...

There is no way to legally sell stolen property, and the bike is his. I have recovered more than one stolen vehicle and other stolen property that to possessor claimed to have obtained with out any knowledge that it was once stolen. In one case a WWII era 1911 that was stolen 17 years prior from the original owner. In all cases the verified stolen property was impounded and the originating reporting agency notified to complete the case so the property could be returned to the rightful owner. Just my personal experience though. Here is an example of a stolen car returned to the rightful owner after 40 years because the original owner had the title and police report was filed and the car entered into NCIC:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/15/la-sheriff-man-recovers-car-42-years-after-theft.html

Like I said, good Luck Scott, hope you get it back.

Back
Top Bottom