• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question/Advice on 2 Excalibur crossbows to purchase for beginner

thelopeztribe

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
2   0
Reaction score
I am debating which of 2 crossbows to purchase and would like some advice. The difference in price is Option 1 is about $100 less. Does it being 25# lighter draw make a difference?

What say ye people?

Option 1 (has the picture of the bow on the table)
* Pre-owned, Excalibur Exocet. 175# Draw. New limbs with old limbs included. Scope, 3 pile driver bolts, 6 broadheads, new string. Bow has a UHG scope. REDs, additional arrow heads

Option 2
* New 2018 Matrix grizzly 305 black shadow package with deadzone scope. Integrated R.E.D.S. 200# Draw.

Option 1.JPG Option 2.JPG

sniper62 sniper62 - I signed up with a username there and all but have yet to get any confirmation emails to confirm my account, etc. I also tried to send them a message through the website only to get an error....Any thoughts?

I have an Excalibur 308 short. Great rig. I suggest you get on Crossbow Nation, its a forum with Excalibur section with some knowledgeable folks.View attachment 1839977

Seems like it took awhile to get on. Can you access it? Also look on the main Excalibur website. There's a section that covers all their older models as well. My buddy had an older model and got his thumb whacked really good. The new models are redesigned to protect that situation. This is my first crossbow.

sniper62 sniper62 - I can access it, but can't post or reply to threads. I was supposed to get a 2nd email or confirmation to access and nothing so far.

Seems like it took awhile to get on. Can you access it? Also look on the main Excalibur website. There's a section that covers all their older models as well. My buddy had an older model and got his thumb whacked really good. The new models are redesigned to protect that situation. This is my first crossbow.

I am sure you could google the exact specs but #175 is plenty... I loaned my vixen to a guy to let his son hunt... he took a shot he shouldn't have. Straight on, went in above the shoulder along the spine. Went through all the paunch and exited through the ham... bolt exited and he got the doe. Not good to take that shot on a deer but the bow claimed a first doe for a 10yr old boy.

My brother used to hunt deer and elk with a compound bow.
The draw weight was only something like 50 lbs. I'm not sure what the velocity was.
Anyhow, he and his buddies killed plenty of animals with them in Colorado and Wyoming over the years.
I think I'd save the $100 on the price of the bow and put that money into quality arrows and MORE arrows, so you aren't afraid to practice with the same good (expensive) arrows (bolts) you hunt with. Yes, you'll lose or break some if you practice with them. But do it anyway. Write off a couple of them as a necessary expense (loss) to hone your skills.

Back
Top Bottom