• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question concerning how to engrave steel receiver for NFA purposes

This is untrue, all form 1 guns (not the free brace one but that doesn’t apply to sbs anyways) MUST be engraved with maker information the only time you don’t is if it’s a form 3 or 4 transfer
Nope. Unless they have come out with something new. The atf has clarified multiple times that that if the firearm has the manufacturer and a serial number, you are good unless you sell it. I.E. if you form 1 a Noveske N4 lower, that has the information on it that the atf cares about and the info that identifies the firearm.

Nope. Unless they have come out with something new. The atf has clarified multiple times that that if the firearm has the manufacturer and a serial number, you are good unless you sell it. I.E. if you form 1 a Noveske N4 lower, that has the information on it that the atf cares about and the info that identifies the firearm.
IMG_9163.jpeg

Straight from the form itself …it is in fact a requirement

I have always had to engrave any Form 1 firearms. By definition you are the 'maker' and the ATF has always required that you engrave your name (or trust) as well as city and state. These brace gun Form 1s are an exception to that, which is legal weirdness unto itself.

There are also very specific requirements for the engraving, and most laser engravers and trophy shops can't meet them. Also, unless you are present the whole time while they do the work, they need to be an FFL (and I think SOT?) to actually do the engravings, since it's an NFA item at that point.

View attachment 5735724
Straight from the form itself …it is in fact a requirement
Not exactly correct. I see why the thought, but, said "requirement" is listed under the definitions and instrustions section of completing the form 1. It's general atf confusion. That statement applies to 80% and the like when completing a new firearm altogether.

By all means, if you want to engrave, engrave away. But the atf has confirmed, multiple times, that it isn't needed when using using an existing firearm with all the normal info on there already. Now, if you sell it, you have to engrave it as it is now a remanufactured firearm intended for sale. But that whole "intended for sale" thing matters. Just like how you aren't having to engrave an 80% lower immediately if you aren't selling it.

I have always had to engrave any Form 1 firearms. By definition you are the 'maker' and the ATF has always required that you engrave your name (or trust) as well as city and state. These brace gun Form 1s are an exception to that, which is legal weirdness unto itself.

There are also very specific requirements for the engraving, and most laser engravers and trophy shops can't meet them. Also, unless you are present the whole time while they do the work, they need to be an FFL (and I think SOT?) to actually do the engravings, since it's an NFA item at that point.
From what I understand, the gun in question isn't an NFA item until it has been put into an NFA configuration. I think, and take this with a grain of salt, that even if you have the tax stamp approved that until you put it into the appropriate configuration to "make" it into an NFA item that it is still just a rifle/shotgun/pistol/firearm until that point. After all, the tax stamp isn't what "makes" it an NFA item but rather gives you permission to make it. That's just what I've hard though, so put as much merit into that as you would anything else you hear a stranger on the internet say.

No, that sounds correct. But I was always under the impression you had to engrave the gun before putting it into that NFA configuration.

No, that sounds correct. But I was always under the impression you had to engrave the gun before putting it into that NFA configuration.
I'm pretty sure that's the case. However, I would guess that you could send a gun off, as in outside of your immediate possession, to be engraved after having an approved tax stamp but before ever having actually put it into the NFA item configuration. That's just my guess though. I think a lot of people get the gun engraved while waiting for approval which would make this a non-issue.

That's what I did with my last AR lower. Figured I'd get the stamp sooner or later so just had it sent out while it was still just an FFL (not SOT) thing to get engraved.

Back
Top Bottom