• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question for any Marines

November Sierra

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
187   0
Reaction score
Back in early Jan, I drove to Parris Island, SC to attend my buddy's Marine graduation. After we got back to GA he and I went in the woods to do some shooting. I noticed every time he shot my AR, he brass checked it. I couldn't understand this. Every. Single. Time.

My question is why do ya'll slingshot THEN brass check THEN tap the FA? Why not just slingshot and shoot?

Just a habit that we were taught on the range. Plus it just lets you know that there is a round there. Insert mag, pull charging handle, and check chamber. Guarantees that if you have to put it down that you know it ready when you grab it. I bet he also closed the dust cover every time too.

Just a habit that we were taught on the range. Plus it just lets you know that there is a round there. Insert mag, pull charging handle, and check chamber. Guarantees that if you have to put it down that you know it ready when you grab it. I bet he also closed the dust cover every time too.

He DID close it every time. The stuff he did didn't bug me, I was very interested in the technique of everything. It just seemed like a lot of steps to start shooting.
I didn't realize how nice some of the MPs were down there. On family day and graduation the same MP told me Roll Tide.

Last edited:
Its to make sure the bolt hasn't fallen out of the M16A1 they issue you at the island :tongue:

No, just a range habit. They drill that stuff into you so much. Was he going over the diddy's while he did it?

Because when they pull the trigger on a enemy/terrorist they don't have worry if the round is chambered. If a firearm is a tool in your line of work would you not check to insure it's got one in the chamber before you go start the day?

Because when they pull the trigger on a enemy/terrorist they don't have worry if the round is chambered. If a firearm is a tool in your line of work would you not check to insure it's got one in the chamber before you go start the day?

Well, if rounds chamber in all my firearms when I slingshot, I don't worry about it. But I see what you mean.

Back
Top Bottom