• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question for anyone on city water and also owns a well

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I'm thinking about connecting my deep well to the inlet of the house and closing off the city side. We rarely drink from water out of the tap. Anyone already installed this and any problems?

Our water/sewer/trash is about $77 month and all comes on one bill. Whatever you used in water is the exact same charge for sewer because we all know every drop went back into the sewer. That's $924 per year to take showers, wash clothes, wash dishes and flush toilets.

I have a well but am on county water which is only 22 a month. Most folks I know on well have had problems with deteriorating copper pipes. A proper filter adjusting ph solves the problem. Don't need the headaches of a well. Speaking out of ignorance but won't you still have to pay for sewer and trash pick up. My trash is 20 a month

Don't believe having municipal and local water connected at the same time would be permitted by the water department as there is the possibility, even with a backflow preventer, of your "untreated" well water entering the municipal system.

Many folks who move from a well to municipal water connect municipal water to the home and use the well as a totally separate system for irrigation, washing the car, etc to avoid paying the combined water/sewer fee for water that never goes into the sewer system :)

I have a well but am on county water which is only 22 a month. Most folks I know on well have had problems with deteriorating copper pipes. A proper filter adjusting ph solves the problem. Don't need the headaches of a well. Speaking out of ignorance but won't you still have to pay for sewer and trash pick up. My trash is 20 a month
Trash I would still have to pay.
Sewer is tied to city water use. If I use 1000 gallons of city water they charge for a 1000 gallons of sewer.
I wouldn't connect it together. I would connect the well directly to the house and shut off the city side. My well is 260' deep with good pressure.

My house is all plumbed from the meter to the house with SCH40 PVC. I've replaced the kitchen faucet and the shower neck a few times as the "city" water ate the copper creating pin hole leaks.

Trash I would still have to pay.
Sewer is tied to city water use. If I use 1000 gallons of city water they charge for a 1000 gallons of sewer.
I wouldn't connect it together. I would connect the well directly to the house and shut off the city side. My well is 260' deep with good pressure.
My guess is that there is a minimum you have have to pay. Use it or not. My water is like that and most of the time is what I pay unless I water the yard. Just 2 of us and we don't bathe regular

Don't believe having municipal and local water connected at the same time would be permitted by the water department as there is the possibility, even with a backflow preventer, of your "untreated" well water entering the municipal system.

Many folks who move from a well to municipal water connect municipal water to the home and use the well as a totally separate system for irrigation, washing the car, etc to avoid paying the combined water/sewer fee for water that never goes into the sewer system :)

I have many customers connected to both.

I suspect city has some code as to not allow you to run a private well in conjunction with your municipal water & sanitary service.

many municipalities charge an annual or quarterly "water meter" or a "stubbed out" fee in addition to monthly gallons

city will eventually send someone to investigate why your city water meter is no longer working.

city won't let you discharge sewage and not collect sewage discharge fees.. prolly force you to use city water and cap off your well.

-personally- I wouldn't poke that bear, rather I would hook up and run your private well to your house 3 weeks per month and run municipal water 1 week per month.. this should reduce your water/sewer bill down to around $25 a month and keep city from getting nosy.
Excellent idea.

Back
Top Bottom