• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

question for anyone who has completed an 80% "gun'

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
Preface: I basically know what an 80% receiver is, and basically know the process for completing it as a functioning gun, but I have never worked on one or having any real interest completing one.

That said, tonight, on NPR news there was some guy from some organization you never heard of who stated as fact (and this is a near quote) that "you can buy a kit and in a matter of minutes assemble a functioning gun."

First, does any one sell a "kit" from with which you can assemble a functioning gun?

Secondly, assume you have your own CNC milling machine in the garage, and assume you have all the parts need to make a functioning gun, rifle or pistol, what is the minimum time it would take a highly skilled person to put together a functioning gun?

I wasn't interested in them until Biden wanted to ban them. Looks like with AR's, the easiest to use jig simply requires a router and a drill. I watched a video or two and they looked pretty easy.

I don't think anyone makes a kit that you can assemble, that would be a 100% kit and would require an FFL. I guess some pistols could be easier than an AR, but I haven't looked into those.

You could (all sold out now) buy kits that include all the parts and the 80percent receiver for Sig P320, Glocks, 1911s, AK, and AR15s.

To complete the frames the p320 is the fastest at about 10 minutes, the slowest is the 1911 taking about an hour.

Assembly of the actual gun, glock is the fastest at 10 minutes and the AK is the slowest at about an hour.

You could (all sold out now) buy kits that include all the parts and the 80percent receiver for Sig P320, Glocks, 1911s, AK, and AR15s.

To complete the frames the p320 is the fastest at about 10 minutes, the slowest is the 1911 taking about an hour.

Assembly of the actual gun, glock is the fastest at 10 minutes and the AK is the slowest at about an hour.

So yes... It can be done in Minutes.

9090B51D-CBEF-4D10-9DBC-77EEC5A04907.jpeg

A milling machine is not necessary.

The 1911 needs a rail cutting jig and hand drill.

The Glock and poly AR can be done with a dremel and hand drill.

The AK and P320 needs a drilling jig and can be done with a hand drill

I agree that you could finish a polymer pistol lower in 10-20 mins if you’ve done a couple prior. However, my experience with them is they, at least the G19, takes a little tuning to get it to run reliable.

I agree that you could finish a polymer pistol lower in 10-20 mins if you’ve done a couple prior. However, my experience with them is they, at least the G19, takes a little tuning to get it to run reliable.

The 1911 is the same way. Takes some tuning.

Most of the people that have issues with the 80% glocks are because they are using aftermarket parts. In my experience they work best with OEM parts.

Back
Top Bottom