• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question for ar experts

outlaw1961

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
86   0
Reaction score
bought a new Ruger Ar556 after I sold my 20 year old Rock River, got the Ruger for 358 out the door after I traded a 22 in on it. This Ruger is just being used as a plinking backyard range toy. When I came home, I checked my ammo stash and realize that I only had some very old Tula on hand. Multiple extraction issues, double feeds and then even not picking up the second round when it did fire. I then went and bought some Winchester, Remington 55 grain and 62 grains in both 556 and 223. No problems at all and the brass landed in a neat pile at 4:00. Does anyone suggest putting a heavy buffer in it since it is carbine length or just shoot the crap out of it

inexpensive ARs usually dont like steel cased ammo at all. i would just stick with shooting brass cased out of it since that seems to work fine for ya.

bought a new Ruger Ar556 after I sold my 20 year old Rock River, got the Ruger for 358 out the door after I traded a 22 in on it. This Ruger is just being used as a plinking backyard range toy. When I came home, I checked my ammo stash and realize that I only had some very old Tula on hand. Multiple extraction issues, double feeds and then even not picking up the second round when it did fire. I then went and bought some Winchester, Remington 55 grain and 62 grains in both 556 and 223. No problems at all and the brass landed in a neat pile at 4:00. Does anyone suggest putting a heavy buffer in it since it is carbine length or just shoot the crap out of it

As cheap as it is, your AR-556 should run the Tula. I ran all kinds of junk and random ammo through one and it ran just fine (including Tula and Monarch steel). Give it a good cleaning, lube it up and try it again.

I am going to run a lot of brass through it. I might try a box of Wolf after about 500 rds of brass. But you are right, seems like the lower ar's dislike steel.

Thanks for the replies. I did email ruger and there response was that we do not recommend steel case ammo in any of our ars. I will run brass but I also have a 20 year old ak that I will run the steel through

Tula tends to be under powered and dirty in my experience. It also has caused problems to several people's guns by not extracting when they were new. What you are describing sounds like the ammo doesn't have enough power to cycle the action correctly. I have a LR308 that will act the same way with weak ammo. Try Wolf steel case and see if it runs like it should.

Thanks Allsmiles I will try that. Just for others reading this, Ruger does say that they stake the bcg, mine looks like it was attempted but no where close to it. I am not too worried yet because if I have problems I will send it back for repair. The gun was also purchased through Davidson's and registered with them for their lifetime guarantee. Supposedly Davidson's will replace with another if weapon starts having problems

Back
Top Bottom