• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question for attorneys / lawyers - not asking for legal advice !

StuP

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
I need to cash in a retirement policy I have in the UK to fund my unemployment.

The company in the UK states they need copies of a bank statement, utility bill and passport "Certified" by an attorney or lawyer.

Is that something attorneys and lawyers do, and if so, what sort of price would be charged ? My first thought was a notary, but they're not on the approved list of certifiers.

That is not normal in the US, but maybe it is in the UK. You might have to retain a lawyer to run interference even if he or she can't "certify" the documents. Or maybe the word "certify" has a peculiar meaning in this instance and a lawyer can help.

I need to cash in a retirement policy I have in the UK to fund my unemployment.

The company in the UK states they need copies of a bank statement, utility bill and passport "Certified" by an attorney or lawyer.

Is that something attorneys and lawyers do, and if so, what sort of price would be charged ? My first thought was a notary, but they're not on the approved list of certifiers.
That's a jacketed up situation and probably a question for the State Department. You don't certify a US Passport. It's already a certified document. As for an attorney certifying the other documents, they'll likely give you a letter, because the only other certification is the "not allowed" notary the secretary/paralegal has.

I’m an attorney and never heard of the term “certified by an attorney”. Maybe they mean “notarized”? I think you are better served asking the company what they mean/want than asking a gun forum.

I’m an attorney and never heard of the term “certified by an attorney”. Maybe they mean “notarized”? I think you are better served asking the company what they mean/want than asking a gun forum.

But I think an attorney answered my question on a gun forum ;)

I know what the rules are for early withdraws within the US, but not from UK.
In the US, it is possible (and easy). But you pay a roughly 10% penalty (in addition to the cap gains).

Back
Top Bottom