• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question for burglary victims

yellowhammer

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
16   0
Reaction score
Have you been burglarized? If so,or if you know someone who has,I am interested in just how much a safe protects guns. Did the perps get into the safe? Did they steal the whole safe? I know of two folks whose safes were in the garage,and the perps chained them to a truck and jerked them out of the concrete. I watched a video where a thief got into a quality safe in a few minutes with only a crowbar.So,are they worth it? All the fire victims I`ve heard from lost the guns in the safe,anyway. Has anyone on here kept their guns from a burglar by having them in a safe?

I have been burglarized. They took everything of value that was either not nailed down or was light enough to carry. Most burglars won't spend much time inside. They will grab what they can carry. I did not have a safe at that time. I do now and anything of real value goes in them.

I had a junky cousin break into our house about a year ago. she took all the electronics, cash, and most of my wife's jewelry but didn't get into the safe. I'm not sure if she tried or not though. Luckily she hadn't pawned the stuff off yet. So in my opinion yes a safe is worth it. Most of the burglarys that happen aren't planned enough to take the time to try and break into a safe much less trying to haul one out..

I can see the issue with a safe in a garage as most anyone can see it when the door is open. They probably planned the snatch and go on the safe for a while before they pulled off the job. Most people have their safes inside the home. If the burglar is not prepared to pry into a safe they most likely won't touch it.

There was a thread about this a few weeks back and one point that was brought up is that some thieves have used the owners own tools to breach the safe.

A good safe and alarm system go a long way. No burglar is going to take the time to break into a safe with an alarm going off. They will grab what they can and leave.

When I go out of town for any length of time I hide most of my guns in the drop ceiling in basement in an out of the way inconspicuous place needing a ladder ( which I keep at neighbors to get to cuz of high ceiling . I unscrew high light bulbs just enough so they dont turn on. My thinking is if they want to spend a lot of time in my house to rob it they will spend time on the safe as well as go through all the unpacked boxes of clothes and stuff in basement. Most all my ammo is hidden in a fake wall in utility room full of crap that would be hard to find unless you were looking for it . Having to clean out all the mops, brooms and other crap in there first . Then again I live in what I think is a very secure area with a wonderful very nosey neighbor across the street.

My house was broke into and the the only thing the thief didn't steal was my guns. A safe saved me. Now I just wished that I had put more stuff in there. He was caught with some of my stuff about a week later right after robbing more houses. His name is Ronnie Ray Campbell. Here is a picture of the thief if any of you are interested. He is still in prison for a little while longer. If any of yall see him be sure to spit in his face!
164800_1562191697479_7691207_n.jpg
For some more about old Ronnie type his name in here. http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/GDC/OffenderQuery/jsp/OffQryForm.jsp

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom