• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question for hunters

YUK0N

Default rank <5000 posts
GRINGO MANDINGO
84   0
Reaction score
Anyone smoke while deer hunting? IMO be a good time to fire up a cigar but i hear mixed reviews.

Your thoughts fellow ODT brethren?

I quit smoking but in the past smoking a cigarette apparently has never prevented a deer to come close. And I hunt from the ground. I don't think they associate the smoke of a cigarette to a possible danger.
Don't know about cigars, I still smoke them but never when hunting. They don't scare fish though :D.

I don't smoke but I know folks who do smoke while hunting. They all kill their fair share of deer so I have to assume that it doesn't impact movement.

I have a friend that usually burns a paper sack near his blind. He has done it for years and always sees deer.

I always use campfire smoke as a cover scent when I've been hunting and camping, I guess a cigarette isn't any different. My father in law is very opposite of me, I try my best to utilize scent control techniques and hunt appropriate wind directions.... he goes where he wants, when he wants, and smokes tons of cigarettes while even drinking a mountain dew and drops deer left and right.... just dont do it around California so you dont burn the woods down

I smoke in the stand, and have often had deer literally standing under my climber while I have a lit cigarette. I have gotten too old to climb very high like I did a few years ago. Never more than 15-20ft max now. Doesn't seem to adversely affect whether I see deer or not.

in my experience they don't really care about cigarette smoke. ive had to put down a smoke to shoot a deer lol.

now....i switched to vaping last year.....ive started questioning my juice choices while in the woods....im doing a melon blend that i think should be fine...i wonder if i should vape my bottle of deer piss (haha :becky::becky::becky::becky:)

Back
Top Bottom