• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question For Hunters

This is how I learned. We were blessed to have our Dads show us what to do, and in my case, my Dad made me do it when I shot a deer. Since I was a teenager I haven't given it a second thought. It's just part of it. I can gut one out in less than 5 minutes...Probably less than 2 minutes.

If a guy did not have a Dad or someone else show them, I can understand.
Hahaha. The guy that wanted to drag the deer 3/4 of a mile without gutting it, his dad didn’t know how either. He was there. I told them I wasn’t gonna drag it without it being gutted. So they tried and it looked like two monkeys trying to f*** a football. Lol so I had to finish it

Reactions: MRH
Takes 2 minutes after practicing. Both my boys were gutting their own after a year or two. Cools body cavity quickly. I skin, quarter, and process my own. Can make sausage, ground, cubed....etc. And I KNOW how the meat was handled, allowed to blooddrain, and cured. Processors are an assembly line, you may get Bubba deer that was carted on a tailgate for 6 hours with the guts still in. Been hunting a long time. Doing your own is a labor of love....and safety.View attachment 2246270

I like seeing this. With hoists at camps and 4 wheelers doing the dragging for so many these days, I don't see many folks gutting them on the ground. I do appreciate the modern conveniences, and hanging them up is definitely the way to go, when possible, but I can't believe how many guys have watched me gut one on the ground and claim they have never done that. Some have never even seen it!

I like seeing this. With hoists at camps and 4 wheelers doing the dragging for so many these days, I don't see many folks gutting them on the ground. I do appreciate the modern conveniences, and hanging them up is definitely the way to go, when possible, but I can't believe how many guys have watched me gut one on the ground and claim they have never done that. Some have never even seen it!
I don’t know if anybody will know this reference, but I kinda like doing things the Tred Barta way. Lol

My processor is less than a mile away. I'll pay the extra $15. I've gutted deer. No magic in it for me. I guess I'm just getting old and lazy.

My processor is less than a mile away. I'll pay the extra $15. I've gutted deer. No magic in it for me. I guess I'm just getting old and lazy.

That’s my point though, there is a difference in knowing how and choosing not and not knowing at all. These boys just didn’t know at all. Lol

People are taking advantage of your kindness. Make them do it themselves. If they're new to hunting help them, but make them do there part. It's not rocket science.

Back
Top Bottom