• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question For Hunters

I agree, I’m too kind hearted. But like I said the two that admitted they didn’t know how I showed them and told them they had to do it there selves next time. But the other one I watched in horror for a few mins and then I just had to show them.

Yeah I agree . Some people are too afraid they will mess something up, and others really do mess up the gutting process. Every hunter does it somewhat different. If it's not to far to drag I'll wait to gut mine, I like hanging the deer up by their hind legs and gut them, makes it so much easier.

So much easier to drag when field dressed.
Practice makes perfect.

I always field dress unless it’s a late power hour shot and I gotta rush it to the processor.

Quick story.
Was invited to a ten acre honey hole by a buddy of mine.
On the way in he mentioned “You always hear about these guys shooting two bucks and the doe they were chasing during the rut......man that’ll never happen to me.”

Well around 11:30 I hear boom......boom.....then a big buck comes running past me and drops 20 yards behind my stand.....my buddy texted me and said “I just shot a buck and a doe and there’s another buck trying to breed this doe I have on the ground but I can’t shoot him because I’m all tagged out.”
I said “Go ahead I’ll tag it.”......boom!

So he got all three deer like he said he never would that morning....awesome!

So it came time to gut and I said “We some some serious gutting to do.”
He said “I’ve never done it before.”
And this guy has been hunting for 20 years.
He said he always had someone else do it.
I said “Well, you’re gonna learn today.”
I said “Watch me do the first one and you can practice on the other two.”
He did a good job and was actually happy someone finally took the time to actually show him how to do it .

I showed him the easy way to cut the wind pipe.....just pull hard and ......snap, done......no risk of slicing yourself.

So much easier to drag when field dressed.
Practice makes perfect.

I always field dress unless it’s a late power hour shot and I gotta rush it to the processor.

Quick story.
Was invited to a ten acre honey hole by a buddy of mine.
On the way in he mentioned “You always hear about these guys shooting two bucks and the doe they were chasing during the rut......man that’ll never happen to me.”

Well around 11:30 I hear boom......boom.....then a big buck comes running past me and drops 20 yards behind my stand.....my buddy texted me and said “I just shot a buck and a doe and there’s another buck trying to breed this doe I have on the ground but I can’t shoot him because I’m all tagged out.”
I said “Go ahead I’ll tag it.”......boom!

So he got all three deer like he said he never would that morning....awesome!

So it came time to gut and I said “We some some serious gutting to do.”
He said “I’ve never done it before.”
And this guy has been hunting for 20 years.
He said he always had someone else do it.
I said “Well, you’re gonna learn today.”
I said “Watch me do the first one and you can practice on the other two.”
He did a good job and was actually happy someone finally took the time to actually show him how to do it .

I showed him the easy way to cut the wind pipe.....just pull hard and ......snap, done......no risk of slicing yourself.
Dang man that is one heck of a story. How big were the two bucks? Well at least he admitted he didn’t know and was eager to learn.

Dang man that is one heck of a story. How big were the two bucks? Well at least he admitted he didn’t know and was eager to learn.

The big buck was a 220# 9 point, he was a hoss and the small buck was a big bodied 4 pointer.
It was late in the rut and the doe was already pregnant which we were a little bummed about.
They were taken on a private tract that bordered Dawson forest tract.
He’s been successful every year in that little honey hole.
The property owner lives in Fla and gave him exclusive hunting permission and will let him take one trusted friend.

The big buck was a 220# 9 point, he was a hoss and the small buck was a big bodied 4 pointer.
It was late in the rut and the doe was already pregnant which we were a little bummed about.
They were taken on a private tract that bordered Dawson forest tract.
He’s been successful every year in that little honey hole.
The property owner lives in Fla and gave him exclusive hunting permission and will let him take one trusted friend.
Dang man that is nice

I rarely gut one anymore unless I'm dragging more than 100 yards. At that point it get's gutted. It easier to quarter them up and leave everything in there.

I butchered my own and was meticulous about it. Kept a sharp filet knife to get that silver skin off. Lots of folks wont eat venison because of what they tried came from a proseser .
I may waste a little meat here and there cutting off the silver skin but it sure does make a difference.

Every one should start hunting squirrels and rabbits before they even try deer.

If you can gut a rabbit or squirrel, a deer is no problem.

Same same, just more of it.

Stort of the story.....everyone needs a mentor to show them the ropes. Sure it can be done by yourself but its safer and better if someone guides you. I have seen alot of comments about people shouldnt go hunting if they dont know how to gut a deer. No one knows thier first time. Gitta start somewhere. And we as a hunting community need to do a better job of mentoring not complaining that someone doesnt know how to gut a deer.

I hate skinning and gutting. One of the reasons I like catch and release fishing, no cleaning involved. I know how to do it, I just find it tedious and annoying. Hence, all my deer end up at the processor 2 miles down the road. For $60 they skin, gut, cube and grind and I dont have to worry about disposing of carcass or guts or giving predators on my property an easy meal.

Back
Top Bottom