• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question for PC gurus

Man I wish. The mouse works in that example and he can get to the sign on screen. I can't get to the sign on screen since neither one (mouse or keyboard) works.
As stated, mouse lights up but keyboard won't. (But they both work fine on other PC's).

I had a similar thing happen when I tried updating my printer software. Somehow it wiped out the drivers for everything. Luckily it was a hp touchscreen and the touch screen still worked. Took me hours to get it working right.

You have not mentioned what kind of PC or version of windows.
Sounds like a corrupted USB driver from a windows 10 update.
Would be curious to see if you can boot up from your rescue disc or thumb drive that you should have created.

You have not mentioned what kind of PC or version of windows.
Sounds like a corrupted USB driver from a windows 10 update.
Would be curious to see if you can boot up from your rescue disc or thumb drive that you should have created.
"Should have".... :rolleyes:

It's an HP running 10 (and has been for over a year). I can't swear if it hasn't auto updated in the last day or two, no way to know.

I think they pushed an update down last week.
You need to find someone that has a win10 startup disc. Not sure if it will solve your issue or not.
If all else fails can take your drive out and use another machine to save your files.
First thing anyone with a new PC should do is create a rescue disc.
How old is your PC. Warranty perhaps?

I wonder if this is the fix.
Sounds like a major PITA to fix... My night is done so this will have to wait for another day.
Redneck, I'm not sure exactly how old it is. I'm a slow learner. Regretted not having one on another old PC. This one (like all) didn't come with media and I'm sure I never burned a rescue disk. Yeah, I hate to pull the HD and try it on a new machine but that's certainly last resort.

you're low on routing fluid......the data packets are clogged inside the logic tubes. When I am low and out of routing fluid stock I just pour good ole 10w30 on the keyboard....at least a quart (Unplug it and remove the battery first of course). Let it sit for about ten minutes then flip it over and pour another quart into the battery compartment (try not to spill any, you need to get it all up in there)....give it another 10 min then reinsert the battery and flip it back over, plug it back in and hit the power switch.

The PC isn't THAT old. ;) Don't have a port for those. USB only.
Tried wireless keyboard. No joy.
Might want to double check. I have a couple higher-end home-builds with recent motherboards, and they all have the old ports. I don't use them, but they are there. If it is a USB issue, it might be worth trying. Ask around older friends or neighbors to borrow their keyboard, or you might find one at a Goodwill, the discount bin at Walmart/Best Buy, or call around to a computer shop in your area.

Might want to double check. I have a couple higher-end home-builds with recent motherboards, and they all have the old ports. I don't use them, but they are there. If it is a USB issue, it might be worth trying. Ask around older friends or neighbors to borrow their keyboard, or you might find one at a Goodwill, the discount bin at Walmart/Best Buy, or call around to a computer shop in your area.

It is doubtful that a OEM motherboard will have the old keyboard PS/2 port. Your custom built is probably different.

Back
Top Bottom