• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question for the AR guys.

DO NOT SPRAY ANYTHING DOWN THE GAS TUBE. You are more likely to cause a problem than prevent one. If you have gas tube problems, it's time to change it (otherwise done when you change the barrel and bolt).

AR Malfunctions from from 2 primary sources.. 1) lack of lubrication and 2) magazines.

1) Lube the bolt and front of the carrier area and add lube every 4-500rds for extended days. A wet AR will keep working even when dirty.

2) Magazines: Either bad mags or failure to properly insert (execute a good reload).

Thanks, that's a relief! Maybe the AR isn't such a pain in the *** to clean after all:) lol

Thanks, that's a relief! Maybe the AR isn't such a pain in the *** to clean after all:) lol

Wipe everything down and then re-lube every 500 or so. If you want, clean the chamber area. At 2000ish, then break out the Q-tips, tooth brush, etc and spotless clean and re-lube. More firearms are worn out from over cleaning than over shooting. You'd be surprised at how tolerant to filth an AR is provided it is lubricated. Look up Pat Rogers - Filthy 14..

Last edited:
Wipe everything down and then re-lube every 500 or so. If you want, clean the chamber area. At 2000ish, then break out the Q-tips, tooth brush, etc and spotless clean and re-lube. More firearms are worn out from over cleaning than over shooting. You'd be surprised at how tolerant to filth an AR is provided it is lubricated. Look up Pat Roger - Filthy 14..

Its really not. Your worrying too much lol

I guess I am worrying too much. I am kind of OCD when it comes to cleaning guns, if I don't clean them after every range trip, I just can't sleep good at night lol. I even clean my AK after every range trip:help:

I guess I am worrying too much. I am kind of OCD when it comes to cleaning guns, if I don't clean them after every range trip, I just can't sleep good at night lol. I even clean my AK after every range trip:help:

I went through that phase.. as I'm sure most people do.

Shoot enough and weapons maintenance gets old. Take a several day class with a lot of shooting.. you'll find that the guns work without extensive cleaning and that you can get away with a lot less cleaning for regular maintenance so you have time to regenerate for the next day or other activities. I've learned to gauge more by amount of lube rather than amount of crud. A spotless AR that is bone dry will malfunction at a far higher rate than a filthy rifle that is properly lubricated. If you enjoy cleaning them, go for it. Your confidence in your firearms is what matters.

I like to clean mine after every range trip also. There is just something relaxing about sitting in front of the TV and cleaning my guns. Now that being said, every so often I see just how dirty I can get one. I have done that to pretty much every firearm I own at some point.

Wipe everything down and then re-lube every 500 or so. If you want, clean the chamber area. At 2000ish, then break out the Q-tips, tooth brush, etc and spotless clean and re-lube. More firearms are worn out from over cleaning than over shooting. You'd be surprised at how tolerant to filth an AR is provided it is lubricated. Look up Pat Rogers - Filthy 14..

Yep. The South Koreans ruined a bunch of "borrowed" M1 Garand barrels by improper/over cleaning them.

Back
Top Bottom