• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

question for wood workers

seanc770

Default rank <750 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
72   0
Reaction score
I have recently acquired a couple of beautiful cherry slabs that I want to turn into tables. Can I finish with mineral oil(to bring out natural grain) then seal with polyurethane (for that shiney bar top.look)? Any help would be appreciated! ! Thanks

The mineral oil will probably alter the performance of the poly, in ways that can't be predicted without testing first. The most likely result is weakening the poly's ability to adhere to the wood. I wouldn't do it.

You could try spraying or wiping on distilled water, and then sanding to the desired smoothness. Although cherry is not an ideal wood for it, the water will raise the grain slightly, and you may get deeper figuring after the sanding. Make sure the wood is well dried before applying the poly.

If the cherry slabs don't have enough character, you might consider using something like Transtint (water soluble dye) before the poly. Over the years, I did a few rifle stocks with Transtint and shellac, and they came out really nice.

Use Minwax Natural stain if you just need something to bring out the grain. You can also use a shaded Minwax if you want a darker color. Poly goes right over the stain. For a super glossy bartop look, you might consider a two part pour on epoxy. Bombproof.

I've been in the shop all day with a torch, highlighting the grain on some cherry. Lol

You will be surprised how much just a coat of poly will bring out of the wood. You might want experiment with the back side of the slab. Try a few different things and see what you like.

IMG_5425.JPG

Use Minwax Natural stain if you just need something to bring out the grain. You can also use a shaded Minwax if you want a darker color. Poly goes right over the stain. For a super glossy bartop look, you might consider a two part pour on epoxy. Bombproof.
could you recommend a 2 part epoxy? im going to do some back side tests. thanks for the great advice.

Back
Top Bottom