• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question on Black Powder pistols, value and collecting

A34

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
16   0
Reaction score
Question for you guys on a pistols value. I was traveling recently and stumbled on a military memorabilia store that had two pistols for sale. I did not buy either, but I might be back there in a couple weeks. So, I'm wondering if either is worth picking up.

Pistol 1) Uberti Colt Walker, looks to be new, never fired. I did not disassemble, but the action and timing was good. No paperwork or box. Just the pistol. Price was $295. I know they sell for more than that new, but what is just the pistol worth as a used item?

Pistol 2) Whitney Revolver. Missing the loading arm and looked like someone tried to clean it with a steel wool pad. It looked almost like a fake antiqued finish was applied. I was put off they finish, I don't know if it can be salvaged without ruining the guns value and I'm not sure what a replacement loading lever costs. They wanted $450 for it.

On a secondary note, The nipples on the Whitney "looked" ok, but one might have been rusted in place. How does frozen nipples impact value on a antique revolver? Most of the antique pistols I see for sale have nipples that look rusted in place. I'm interested in one that can still be fired, not a static display. Is that feasible with the age of these guns? All my BP stuff is reproduction, would like to add the real thing one day, but they are pretty pricey.

Thanks Guys!

Not a bad price on the Walker if it's in new condition .
I'd offer less , or a walk out price at least :)

Sounds like the Whitney is quite possibly a paperweight.
I would not pay that much for any reproduction in that condition.

Not a bad price on the Walker if it's in new condition .
I'd offer less , or a walk out price at least :)

Sounds like the Whitney is quite possibly a paperweight.
I would not pay that much for any reproduction in that condition.
Thanks. The Whitney was original.

Thanks. The Whitney was original.

Well that's just sad :(

But could be quite a project for ya as well .

If there is no finish except for the bad one ,then you can decide where to go with that according ng to how the load lever you find is finished.

Here's a link for some original parts.

http://www.ssfirearms.com/products.asp?cat=259

Reactions: A34
Walker sounds worth making an offer.

The value if the Whitney very much depends on the exact model details, could be worthless or a prized rare variation.

What did it look like, open top like a Colt or solid frame, caliber estimate ?

Go and browse gunbroker and see if you can ID it.

Walker sounds worth making an offer.

The value if the Whitney very much depends on the exact model details, could be worthless or a prized rare variation.

What did it look like, open top like a Colt or solid frame, caliber estimate ?

Go and browse gunbroker and see if you can ID it.
It was a solid frame like a Remington New Army. I think it was a .36. Good idea on Gunbroker, I'll see what I can find.

Back
Top Bottom