• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

UPDATE PIC OF LABEL-Question on Stainless Steel

Maybe for a pellet gun lol.When you do find out the exact thickness,I would be a buyer,How bad has it oxidized?

I'm no expert by any means but I don't think that it is badly oxidized at all. The guy that I got them from had his camper parked on them to keep the tires Off the dirt. They have been under a covered RV carport for the last 15 years.

A former Factory job exposed me to testing hardness of metals There are Metallurgical Lab Equipment testers such as "Rockwell (Hard metals) and Brinell (softer metals)" that compare materials.
Normal steel is hardened to somewhere in the upper 60 - low 70 RC, then is tempered to draw hardness out so as to reduce its brittleness. We 'Drawed' the hardness down to RC 60-61 for Bearing surfaces, and Down to RC 45 to 50 for High Torque items like transmission shafts.

Stainless is of two main varieties, Hardenable, and nonhardenable.
The kind you can harden is what most SS firearms use. It CAN RUST, but not nearly as bad as ordinary steel.
The Non-hardenable has a High Nickle Content, and is nearly rust and corrosion free.
If my memory serves me from the 60s and 70s, this kind is more durable than 'Cold Rolled Steel', which would make it decent for pistols targets IF THE THICKNESS is adequate.

Hope this helps.

I know a guy that makes bumpers and oil pans and roll bars from stainless

Looks like chrome when he's done grinding and polishing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found this on the other side.
IMG_5239.JPG

Back
Top Bottom