• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question to expierenced reloaders

Yea one of my concerns is that I don't shoot enough. So I haven't accumulated enough brass to justify reloading. And if I continue shooting the amount that I shoot now the time it will take to really save money on just my initial investment will be quite awhile.

IMO as a long time reloader, unless you get into a shooting sport that is high volume, reloading does not make economic sense. I've had this argument a 1000 times with skeet shooters. Actually they are a special case, because 28 ga. and .410 may be profitable to reload. The only way reloading makes economic sense is if you assign $0.00 dollars to the value of your time.

For common calibers, you would be better off buying a few cases of ammo now while it's relatively cheap and set them by, sort of like buying wine. Or if you reload for some more exotic calibers -.50-100.

All of that said, if you approach it like a hobby, where the value is in doing of it, like fly tying or woodworking or about anything else, then it makes sense. You can load loads you can't buy, and generally just mess around with your guns in a way you can't do shooting factory loads.

I can get my local service station to change my oil for $20.00. In terms of my time, it doesn't make sense for me to change my own oil, but I like the sense of "controlling my destiny" and I like to know that every so often I personally inspect the underside of my car.

150 rds per month tells me you are likely not a "shooter." That's one range session for one caliber for me and I don't consider myself a "shooter." Ammunition has never been cheaper in my adult lifetime if you calc for inflation, it's ridiculously cheap. Take the $2,000 you'd spend on all the junk you'll wind up with for reloading (anyone tells you can reload cheaply is a liar) and buy 10 year's worth of ammo. That's your "reserve", now go to Walmart or Academy Sports on your way to the range and buy what you'll shoot.
I don't shoot a lot. Maybe at most 150 rounds a month. 9mm and 40. Some .223 and .22-250

150 rds per month tells me you are likely not a "shooter." That's one range session for one caliber for me and I don't consider myself a "shooter." Ammunition has never been cheaper in my adult lifetime if you calc for inflation, it's ridiculously cheap. Take the $2,000 you'd spend on all the junk you'll wind up with for reloading (anyone tells you can reload cheaply is a liar) and buy 10 year's worth of ammo. That's your "reserve", now go to Walmart or Academy Sports on your way to the range and buy what you'll shoot.
Thanks man I think your right. My main reason for wanting to start was in case the price got real expensive i would have the equipment and know how. But I'm thinking if I just buy factory ammo I can have a nice stockpile that won't really deplete cuz I don't shoot as much.

Thanks man I think your right. My main reason for wanting to start was in case the price got real expensive i would have the equipment and know how. But I'm thinking if I just buy factory ammo I can have a nice stockpile that won't really deplete cuz I don't shoot as much.

The problem with that analysis is that when ammo gets expensive, so do components, or components become very scarce.

A few years back when the Obama scare was in full force, reloading shot - a simple element, probably the most common component there is - went from $20-25 for 25 lbs, to $50 almost overnight.

Primers disappeared and couldn't be had at any price.

Common powders disappeared.

I cut way back on reloading until prices came down, which I knew they would.

I kept reloading but bought supplies sparingly when not too outrageous. There are dealers from whom I will not buy now due to their conduct. I try to buy huge amounts of components now when I do buy them. 30K primers, 96lbs powder, 5k bullets, etc. To quote a famous movie line....
images(10).jpg

The problem with that analysis is that when ammo gets expensive, so do components, or components become very scarce.

A few years back when the Obama scare was in full force, reloading shot - a simple element, probably the most common component there is - went from $20-25 for 25 lbs, to $50 almost overnight.

Primers disappeared and couldn't be had at any price.

Common powders disappeared.

I cut way back on reloading until prices came down, which I knew they would.

All the good advice already given, so just going to up my meager post count. As an aside, lot of slightly used and cheaper than new equipment on sale here

I have really been shooting a lot more rifle in the last few years. Never looked at what the financial savings are but lately I've noticed what quality rifle ammo is selling for and yes I'm saving quite a bit of money.

I started reloading back in the early 80's, mainly to feed my Mac 11.From there I started buying pistols in some off the wall calibers and kept reloading for them as well as hunting rifle loads. Now a days it's pretty tough to beat factory loaded prices on stuff like 9mm and 223 when you figure the time it takes to load some of that stuff on a single stage press. But overall, IMHO the best thing reloading does for you is to help you get a clear picture of ballistics, trajectory, pressures and the general physics that come into play when you pull the trigger. So for that reason I say go ahead and make the investment.

Back
Top Bottom