• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question to expierenced reloaders

You had me at..."me and my father." That reason alone is suffice to start. I envy your ability to do things with yours. I lost my father 2 years ago.

Must be the onions im cutting.

If it's really something you wanna consider, pm me and you can check out my setup for the day.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Lastly, once you start down the path to the dark side, you'll never be able to look at store bought ammo the same.

Don't consider it money invested, it's money spent. It's a hobby it doesn't have to make sense. It's better way to spend money(IMHO) than golf, tobacco, alcohol, or tattoos.

You don't save money reloading. You just get to shoot more for the same money, and if you take care of your equiptment it will last several lifetimes.

... if you take care of your equipment it will last several lifetimes.
I bought both my presses 2nd hand, my first press, a turret press, was made in the late '60s early '70s and once I found a shell holder conversion, it'll load anything I want. My other press is a progressive press that the original owner had nearly beaten to death. I had to replace nearly all of the "minor" components (items the manufacturer considers maintenance parts) before I could get it to run consistently. I still have issues with it and have to baby it when in use, but it does produce very consistent rounds.

Another note - nearly all reloading equipment manufacturers stand behind their product and will replace broken or worn parts usually for the cost of shipping. I've had very good luck with several companies replacing parts that failed either due to wear or (in once case) improper use (the deprimer broke on a .308 shell with a Berden primer).

Is it worth it? Me and my father have seriously considered reloading but are unsure if it's worth it. Our reasoning for wanting to start is just in case the cost of factory ammo gets to high. Is this a viable option? Would really like to know what everybody thinks.
I'M RETIRED AND IT'S JUST A GREAT RELAXING HOBBY WITH BENNIES OF CHEAPER SHOOTING AND MORE OF IT.

The above posts have very good comments to consider, after reloading for 40+ years, here is our thoughts about your question...

Is it really about reloading or just another want or will it fill a true need?

Is really a lasting passion?

Do you a thrill doing reloading?

Can you schedule time away from the family without taking time from your immediate family?

Do you have an area that is possibly going to be used for your reloading area, and it lockable to keep others out and ?

Buying reloading equipment is it going to cause problems with the family budget?

Have you run it by your immediate family(girlfriend, wife)?

How many rounds per caliber will you be buying for, and which calibers are you going to produce reloading?

Are you and your father going to split the costs, and who's house will the set-up going to reside at?

Are you ready to constantly find extras that will, or would make your reloading easier and more productive?

Do you know which powders you are going use or need?

Do you know which primers you are going to use manufacturer, standard or magnum?

Which dies are you going to use?

We suggest you buy CARBIDE SMALL BASE FULL LENGTH DIES.

Now is it going to benefit you and your Dad, by spending time and really seeing something the both of you can enjoy?

L@@ks like now all you have to do is make yourself a pro and con list, and then you will have your answer right before you...

Oh is reloading cheap, never is any hobby cheap, it is for a time to get into your own quiet, peaceful, thinking "BUBBLE".

We have and still do enjoy each and every minute we do spend or have spent "RELOADING".

Good luck with your decision...

I started reloading for accuracy in bolt guns....now i load for everything i shoot...its another hobby. do I save money on my loads...maybe, but i shoot a LOT more than i used to. I find major savings loading 77gr pills for my ARs. can get 1000 nosler CC 77gr pills for like $140 when they have over runs. I like to match ammo to rifle as well.

One plus on reloading, where can you buy 30-30 subsonic loads for your suppressed Marlin 336?

Answer is you can't. But you can load your own, or any other oddball loading if you have dies and brass.

Back
Top Bottom