• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question

I carry a 44 mag revolver when i hunt deer in bear country.
Never used it to take a deer but the temptation was there on occasion but no need to use it when I got an excalibur in my hands.
I usually hunt archery during rifle season because I’m in tight woods most of the time.
I need to practice a lot more with the revolver before I’d feel comfortable shooting at a deer with it.

I have shot deer with .44 mag,Model 29 8 3/8, a few times.
I have never lost a deer but I don't believe I ever shot over 60 yards at deer.
I shot metallic silhouette a few times and frequently shot that gun .
I killed deer,rabbits,groundhogs,rats,hogs,blackbirds and sparrows. I used shot cartridges that I loaded for the
birds. Everything else was usually the same handload:
250gr. hardcast swc Keith type bullet,heavy H110,W296 or
Hercules2400. I also occasionally loaded 180 jhp and 240 jhp. The farthest any deer ran was a doe that was running at about 35 yards. Shot it through both lungs. Slug was found in a tree after pass thru.
The main thing is I shot a bunch. Long range up to 250 yards ,close,speed ,point shooting,aerial targets, cans, paper and many informal targets. Yeah I was pretty familiar that gun.

I’m going to be using my G20 this season. I hope to take a doe or two with it. Good luck to you. That Creedmoor should be good to 100 yards easy if it’s within your comfort zone. There are guys using handguns with lesser rounds making clean, 100 yard kills.

I killed a doe with a .357mag a couple years ago, using 125gr HP's. Hornady American gunner. I wasnt even trying to get a deer with my revolver, but the opportunity presented itself and I dropped her like a rock. About 10 yards.

Nice! I’d capitalize on that opportunity any day!

It was too easy, and .357 was plenty of gun with decent shot placement.

DSC00736.JPG.jpg

I'll be hunting with a .44 Mag this year, but the shots are going to have to be close (30 yards or less), not because of accuracy, but due to energy loss at greater distance. I'm also concerned about proper bullet expansion at lower velocity. I'll probably never carry it as my exclusive weapon. I'll have a deer rifle with me and use the pistol if the right opportunity presents itself and I'll have it when I'm small game hunting just in case.[/QUOTE]

For 44 mag, Speer Deep Curl (gold dot) are good bullets to consider if you load your own. Off the top of my head I do not remember their expansion threshold. I like 240 grains personally. Also, if you are looking at reduced power loads, Swift A-frames initiate expansion as slow as 850fps according to their website. Now, if you are running full house loads through a 6 inch barrel or greater, I would not be too terrible concerned with egregious velocity loss until you’ve covered some real estate. If you are buying your ammo from the store, good old white box Winchester 240s would be my pick.

Back
Top Bottom