• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question....

DaveTheMinion

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
94   1
Reaction score
So, I've noticed a trend with many sellers and a taboo subject here is the "Posting of Serial numbers".

I'm not really sure of the benefits of covering a serial number and truthfully could potentially see benefits of having serial numbers shown. That way if one member gets something stolen he can post those serial numbers as well as pics for proof in a thread section, and in the rare event it wind up on the ODT we can bring the bastards down...But what exactly does hiding the serial number do to benefit anyone?

So, I've noticed a trend with many sellers and a taboo subject here is the "Posting of Serial numbers".

I'm not really sure of the benefits of covering a serial number and truthfully could potentially see benefits of having serial numbers shown. That way if one member gets something stolen he can post those serial numbers as well as pics for proof in a thread section, and in the rare event it wind up on the ODT we can bring the bastards down...But what exactly does hiding the serial number do to benefit anyone?
Peace of mind I suppose. Same reason people block their tags on their cars in pics. You just never know with people anymore.

I've wondered that too and really don't try and cover mine in pics... sometimes it's helpful so you can find a manufacturing date, etc. ... although now I'm worried :)

I've wondered that too and really don't try and cover mine in pics... sometimes it's helpful so you can find a manufacturing date, etc. ... although now I'm worried :)

EXACTLY, the serial number is a great way for you to not only look up the date on the firearm, that and the model on old guns.

Yeah I dont know, I mean unless the person somehow was able to locate the FFL where you purchased the gun (if you purchased it from a dealer) and track down the serial number on the 4473 in the FFL's bound book there is not much they could do really. Maybe use that serial number in some sort of scam? Put your serial number on a different gun? Not very likely.

I don't know why i do it, I just do it :0

Starting a thread with "Question..."makes me think of Dwight Schrute :lol:, I'd post a pic of Dwight in good humour, but surely big brother would think it inappropriate in some way, and it would be deleted quickly. Any meatwadttm you still don't have an avatar...from now on it should be Dwight :lol:

Back
Top Bottom