• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question....

Theoretically, someone could see a post, flub some sort of false documentation, and report "their" gun stolen. I know it's a long shot, but I'm sure if you put enough effort into it, someone could probably get away with it.

I guess that is plausible, and assuming you are the no BOS, no 4473 type, how would you prove it is your gun and not stolen? That would suck.

Theoretically, someone could see a post, flub some sort of false documentation, and report "their" gun stolen. I know it's a long shot, but I'm sure if you put enough effort into it, someone could probably get away with it.

That's what I'm saying, you never know with people these days. Or they could say they got shot at and the serial number was GX144399 though they didn't know what make/caliber it was :lol:

^^^^THIS is the reason ........ its very possible these days ;(

^^^^THIS is the reason ........ its very possible these days ;(

And it has happened before, I don't remember where or when but I do remember reading about it in Guns & Ammo or American Hunter or something.

The only reason I would black out my serial number is this: Why put out more information than necessary? That's just inviting someone to scheme on how to use said information for a malicious purpose...

This is why I would cover them myself. Like others have said anything is possible these day's. I would provide it it to a buyer that had a legit reason to want it with good rep around here.

So, I've noticed a trend with many sellers and a taboo subject here is the "Posting of Serial numbers".

I'm not really sure of the benefits of covering a serial number and truthfully could potentially see benefits of having serial numbers shown. That way if one member gets something stolen he can post those serial numbers as well as pics for proof in a thread section, and in the rare event it wind up on the ODT we can bring the bastards down...But what exactly does hiding the serial number do to benefit anyone?

i always wondered the same thing. i personaly don't care about the serial numbers. i don't usually keep a gun long enough for it to matter.

Back
Top Bottom