• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Questions about Ruger Deerfield 44 mag carbine

N Cochran

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
334   0
Reaction score
Alright guys, here is a question/problem I have researched and can't figure out the best way to go. I figure a collective mind might better address this situation as I sometimes take that route on legal cases with the other attorneys that work for me.

Here's my problem.

I have a Ruger Deerfield 44 mag carbine. This is the carbine that has an action like the mini 14's and mini 30's. I really like the gun and had wanted one for a long time. They don't make them anymore so that was a problem. A trade came up and I took it. The only problem is that the barrel has been cut down to 16". Still legal but I wanted the full barrel. This cut down also cut off the front site. The rear sight has been removed. It came with a scope, but I am not really keen on making this a scoped shooter. I thought these problems might be something that could be fixed, called Ruger for replacement barrel and they don't have anymore. I can buy a rear site, and have located them, however the barrel and front site are still a problem. I have thought about having a gunsmith attach a flash suppressor to the front of the barrel and install a front site best as possible. I have also thought about buying a generic .44 barrel and having it installed by a gunsmith and then have the gun refinished to provide the full size barrel I want. Those are my thoughts. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated, or if you know of someone who can, or someway to, restore this gun I would greatly appreciate it.
:confused:

Too much money ios needed to fix that particular carbine. I would seel or trade that rifle and look for another one that has not been modified. That will be your best bet in the long run. You could even afford to throw another hundred or two hundred bucks toward the purchase of a new rifle and still come out WAY ahead.
Good Luck

I understand your desire to restore that one but your most economical solution would be to sell that one and find another as hogguide suggested.
A forward mounted red dot would probably be a nice alternative sighting system for the package you describe.

I checked at Numrich as they often have hard to find parts but didnt see what you're lookin for. You might give em a call because I know they sometimes come across used parts sources.

Last edited:
you might check with some of the suppressor websites. I know the 77/44 (bolt action 44 mag) is a hot rifle to buy and put on a full length integral suppressor. in this case, the person really doesn't care what barrel is on the rifle. Im guessing that you might have good luck selling it there. I've got a 96/44 that I've been considering this change but i'm still a ways off from doing something about it.

just a thought.

I have seen those for sale. They aren't cheap. If the gun is good condition and would be something you will keep for years to come I would have a real good well- known gunsmith well versed in machining just fit you a new barrel. Those guns are going for over 700 on gun broker. I would think you could get the work done for a little less than that and you would avoid having to sell and find a gun that meets your condition taste. Of course, I would have an estimate done just to make sure. I love those guns and have considered getting one myself but there are few others I want more so It's on the list.

Back
Top Bottom