• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Questions for those mechanically inclined!

If you have not changed the time belt in a long time, take cap off valve cover look at valves while someone spins it over. They should move. If no movement then timing belt may be broke .
Just an idea

Received the OBD2 reader yesterday. I’m getting three codes - P0441, P0442, P0446.

There is obviously an EVAP leak somewhere. Is it weird that it’s not starting with these codes?

also, to answer earlier questions, no I can’t hear the fuel pump kicking over.

Received the OBD2 reader yesterday. I’m getting three codes - P0441, P0442, P0446.

There is obviously an EVAP leak somewhere. Is it weird that it’s not starting with these codes?

What happened with a spritz of starting fluid?

Did you get a software program so you cn read the real time parameters and do the function tests on your computer? The good software does not come standard with those dongles. I have one and do not use it for the advanced stuff as the software was extra. I did get a $300 reader that has better software, and is update-able for new models as they are released.

Can you smell any gas? Check your VSV valve. I see in your other thread you are selling it. Needs a bit more diagnostics, could be the charcoal canister, during, vacuum lines or VSV valve. I'd start with checking that VSV out. Good luck with sale. If it wasn't so far I'd bring it home to wrench on!

Starting fluid can screw up the mass airflow sensor.
Don’t spray that in fuel injected car intake tubes.
Check engine light won’t go out by just replacing gas cap.
You may have a charcoal canister shut off valve, purge valve, charcoal canister cracked but the fuel cap may have been your issue..erase the code and drive it to see if it comes back on....fuel evap purge leaks can sometimes be tricky and require a smoke machine test to figure out source of leak.
If it’s crank or cam sensor it may not throw a check engine light unless car dies while driving as a result of one of those sensors faulty.
Get someone to lay under the car while you turn key to ignition position to listen for fuel pump buzz.
Sometimes thumping the bottom of the fuel tank with a rubber mallet will jar the fuel pump free while cranking...if it cranks and starts while thumping with mallet then most likely the fuel pump motor was stuck and needs replaced.
Yes a cheap fuel pressure gauge screwed onto the fuel rail shrader valve will tell tou if you have fuel pressure while cranking.
There’s are more tests but I’d try that first.

Beating on the fuel tank is a good way to destroy a fuel pump if that isn't the problem.

I never had a MAF sensor fail from a wiff of starting fluid. It will be in gaseous form by the time it hits the wire. If you are concerned, apply the starting fluid downstream of the maf.

Bottom line, is it fuel or ignition?

Back
Top Bottom