• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

questions for you OTF knife experts

Hey Clever. I think it's awesome of you to trust and teach your son to have an OTF.
I don't know about expert, but I carry one most week days.
I personally favor the top slide button. It requires a little more pressure and a conscious decision to deply.

I don't like Benchmade myself, but you can't deny their quality and customer service.
I carry a Microtech as mine. Zero Zero Zero issues with it and the quality is evident.

But it I just made an order for a new one from Ravenquest. This is an OTF maker made in AZ with a LIFETIME WARRANTY.
It has many features and characteristics that resemble the MT's but for half the price.
I have met the owner a few times and worked the action on a few blades at 2 different national shows. They fire solid and the safety is true.

Again, lifetime warranty.

Go go to their site and at least check them out. Believe me, they feel very solid. Not a Taiwan knock off.

Good of luck and let me know how your search goes.

http://ravencresttactical.com

In for the revencresttactical.com link!
Thanks guys, and especially klarktx!

Ok, just got a microtech ultratech d/e from another member on here. The thing looks like it's brand new no scratches at all. I like it so much I may keep it and find another one for my son.

Do these things have a break in period for the action or is the spring always super tight. Getting the blade to extend isn't a problem but I can only get it to retract 8 or 9 times before my thumb gives out. If this was a gun I'd grease the trigger area because it feels like it's binding on the frame from the downward pressure but since this is a knife I figured I'd ask first. Is there a technique for working the trigger to retract the blade that would help?

Hmm. I've had my MT Combat Troodon 2 years, open once a day 3-4days a week min. It's a stiff deploy, but I think that's by design. Wouldn't want a weak release honestly. Again. Try a little rem oil on the action, make sure to use can air up inside.
Good luck

Hey Clever. I think it's awesome of you to trust and teach your son to have an OTF.
I don't know about expert, but I carry one most week days.
I personally favor the top slide button. It requires a little more pressure and a conscious decision to deply.

I don't like Benchmade myself, but you can't deny their quality and customer service.
I carry a Microtech as mine. Zero Zero Zero issues with it and the quality is evident.

But it I just made an order for a new one from Ravenquest. This is an OTF maker made in AZ with a LIFETIME WARRANTY.
It has many features and characteristics that resemble the MT's but for half the price.
I have met the owner a few times and worked the action on a few blades at 2 different national shows. They fire solid and the safety is true.

Again, lifetime warranty.

Go go to their site and at least check them out. Believe me, they feel very solid. Not a Taiwan knock off.

Good of luck and let me know how your search goes.

http://ravencresttactical.com

Nice! Subscribed

Gods honest truth. You can not go wrong with a microtech ultra tech. New springs are a little stiff at first, though they do break in. Get on blade forums and find an older one with a slightly looser spring. Requires a little more upkeep but deployment is the absolute truth. One of the new ones wil definitely build yours sons forearm strength. Then again, if he is old enough for an OTF he is probably working on that forearm strength himself....

I know it's not an OTF but once I droped my Microtech Amphibian in the lake behind my parents house, I found it 2 months later... a lil WD40 and it never missed a beat! (6-7 years later the knife was still working when I sold it!)

Thanks guys, looks like I need to build up my thumb. Don't have remoil so I'll use a couple of drops of kroil and see if that helps some. I can tell now that I start pressing down more than moving the trigger straight back after 6 or 7 actuation's, that's probably what's giving me that binding feel.

I always thought of these OTF knives as novelties but this thing is pretty solid. Unfortunately for my son, the more I play with it the more it's growing on me.

Let it sit overnight with kroil on it and it is easier to retract now or maybe my thumb is getting stronger. Thanks again for the info

Last edited:
Thanks guys, looks like I need to build up my thumb. Don't have remoil so I'll use a couple of drops of kroil and see if that helps some. I can tell now that I start pressing down more than moving the trigger straight back after 6 or 7 actuation's, that's probably what's giving me that binding feel.

I always thought of these OTF knives as novelties but this thing is pretty solid. Unfortunately for my son, the more I play with it the more it's growing on me.

Let it sit overnight with kroil on it and it is easier to retract now or maybe my thumb is getting stronger. Thanks again for the info

You should give your son his and grab this one from Berry before I do : http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/804161-FS-Microtech-Scarab-D-E-Auto-(Price-drop!!)

You should give your son his and grab this one from Berry before I do : http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/804161-FS-Microtech-Scarab-D-E-Auto-(Price-drop!!)

Yeah man, I admit I got a little excited when I saw the title of the thread, when I clicked it I said please have the double edge & partially serrated blade. It's a great looking knife and if it had partial serrations or one edge serrated I'd be picking it up today. Its just hard to justify paying that much for something that isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

Yeah man, I admit I got a little excited when I saw the title of the thread, when I clicked it I said please have the double edge & partially serrated blade. It's a great looking knife and if it had partial serrations or one edge serrated I'd be picking it up today. Its just hard to justify paying that much for something that isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

Why are the serrations a must? (Just asking no sarcasm)

Back
Top Bottom