• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Quick question about sighting in a .270

NorthGA_Recon

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
38   0
Reaction score
So I messed up and didn’t get a chance to go out and take a hundred yard shot with my deer rifle before my time in the woods. I’m heading to a range that has a 25 yard shot. My question is where do I want that hole punching on the target at 25 yards if I want it close to zero at 200? I know there’s some variables that come into play but just a rule of thumb would be appreciated.

What grain bullet? To be more precise, you should use a ballistic chart with the correct scope height (high mounts are something like 1.75" to center). Download the Bullet Drop app and plug the grain & fps in there. From what I can guess, I'd say dead on at 25yds. Normally on my deer rifles, dead on at 50 is about .5" to .75" high at 100.

All mine are sighted at 1/2 low at 25.puts you high a bit at hundred and good out to 207 yards
That sounds about right. I saw where a guy wrote an article about it and he says dead center at 26 yards with 130gr bullet hits 2.81 high at 200 and dead on at 280. So I think half an inch low at 25 is right where I’d like to be. Thanks for the input.

.270 is just about as flat shooting as they come. There won't be much difference in 25 and 200. A touch low (1" ) at 25 and you should be good at 200.

Yeah, my favorite ballistics calculator at gundata dot org says for a 130 gr. soft point, and a big-lens scope that's centered 1.7" above bore,

you'd be 0.6" low at 25, dead on at 40 yds, about 1.5" high at 100 to 125 yards, then zero again at 200. If you had a 250 yard shot and didn't hold over, you'd only hit 3" low.

The 270 is a flat-shooting round at hunting distances.

Measure the distance from rifle bore to scope center.

Set the rifle to shoot a group half that distance low at 25 yards.

That should put you close to a near zero of 50 yards, which will mean very close to a far zero of 200 yards.

Here's the idea: The bullet exits the barrel below the sights or scope, climbing up to cross the "line of sight".

A 50 yard near zero (when the bullet crosses the line of sight) usually comes close to a 200 yard far zero (when the bullet drops back through the line of sight) with a rifle with "tall" sights or scope, such as an AR-15 or scoped rifle.

A target at 25 yards is half the distance to the 50 yard near zero, so the round should be halfway to the zero point; Therefore, at 25 yards set your rifle up to group half of the distance from scope to bore.

In other words, if the scope centerline is 2.5 inches over the bore, adjust the scope so the group is 1.25 inches low at 25 yards. That should be close enough to put meat in the freezer when you hold center of a deer's chest at any distance from muzzle to 300 yards.

We discuss this in depth during the Actual Distance presentation at an Appleseed training event.

Back
Top Bottom