Quick question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spar1790

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
108   0
Reaction score
If I buy new brass, does it have to be sized? I am using a lee full length sizer if that matters. I was under the impression it was already sized and the only brass that needed sizing was once fired unless it was shot from the same gun you plan on shooting it through. Thanks for the help.

I always size all my brass. Whether recommended by the manufacture or not, I size and trim all my new rifle brass for uniformity. I size all my handgun brass as well, never trim it though.

If you're loading for the same bolt rifle, neck sizing, or partial sizing can greatly extend case life. Full length resizing works the entire case each time and by comparison shortens the brass' life expectancy by a long shot. (no pun intended). I've loaded some brass in .308 ten+ times. These are mid velocity loadings. If I'm pushing them, I usually make loads 6 or 7 my last. I've really not tried to see how many times I could get out of bottleneck cases. There's just too much pressure on these to chance a head separation. Watch the web area of the case, watch for loosening of primer pockets, and of course cracks in the case neck. I wish I had more defined numbers for you, but in all honesty I don't know for sure. I go by "when in doubt, throw it out." Some rifles, some actions, and some loads are tougher on brass than others. You'll learn as you go. Look and feel of each round as you go. I hope this helps more than it confuses, Chuck.

If you're loading for the same bolt rifle, neck sizing, or partial sizing can greatly extend case life. Full length resizing works the entire case each time and by comparison shortens the brass' life expectancy by a long shot. (no pun intended). I've loaded some brass in .308 ten+ times. These are mid velocity loadings. If I'm pushing them, I usually make loads 6 or 7 my last. I've really not tried to see how many times I could get out of bottleneck cases. There's just too much pressure on these to chance a head separation. Watch the web area of the case, watch for loosening of primer pockets, and of course cracks in the case neck. I wish I had more defined numbers for you, but in all honesty I don't know for sure. I go by "when in doubt, throw it out." Some rifles, some actions, and some loads are tougher on brass than others. You'll learn as you go. Look and feel of each round as you go. I hope this helps more than it confuses, Chuck.

Sounds like some good rules of thumb.. Thanks again for the help chuckdog.

It is a good practice to resize new brass. I have been known to not do this and luckly I have not run into any problems.

I did a little test last year on how many times a peice of brass could be loaded. I started reloading 5.7X28 and I was just playing around with it one day, I started out loading two pieces, going out and firing them, and reloading them again, over and over, using a full length die. I actually got tired of the little game after the eleventh time reloading them. So I still cannot answer that question, but I do know that I got 11 shots, each, out of those two pieces of brass. Since then, I got a neck sizer for 5.7X28 so I may have to test it again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom