• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Quietest .22 Rimfire Ammo

GrumpyGus

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
0   0
Reaction score
Thanks to another thread about subsonic ammo, i've gone in search of ammo i can plink with in the backyard or even in the garage with adequate backstop. And I've found it.

Here's the ammo I tried in order of noise. Left is the noisiest, Aguila Super Extra Short - which sounded like a standard Remington Lightning 22LR, then the CCI Quiet 22LR, then the CCI CB 22 short, and finally the best, the Aguila 22 Colibri.

The CCI Quiets were what I thought would win, but I was shocked that the dadgum Colibri's were tops in quiet. I would shoot them in my backyard with my neighbor sunbathing outside. Heck, I'd shoot them in an apartment with a good backstop. (You should not do this! It's still a .22 after all!)

I wasn't able to test penetration, but hands down the Colibris are the quietest ammo you can find today, that I was able to purchase.

Hope this helps someone on a similar quest. If anyone picks up some Colibri and does penetration testing I'd like to see it.

Rifle Used: Henry Goldenboy in .22LR/L/S/
Suppressor Used: None

Note: I wouldn't try these in a semi-auto because they won't kick hard enough to rack the slide, but for any bolt/single shot/leeeever action rifle you can cycle them fast enough to melt the barrel down and make a new one.

Update: I'm now shooting the Colibri's in my garage into an amazon box packed tightly with cardboard with a 3/4" backstop. They make it about 1/2 way through the box before stopping. The box measures 12" deep, 30" long, 20" wide.

Try the Super Colibri. Out of a 10-22 the impact on target is the loudest noise. No problem killing a squirrel DRT.

Thanks to another thread about subsonic ammo, i've gone in search of ammo i can plink with in the backyard or even in the garage with adequate backstop. And I've found it.

Here's the ammo I tried in order of noise. Left is the noisiest, Aguila Super Extra Short - which sounded like a standard Remington Lightning 22LR, then the CCI Quiet 22LR, then the CCI CB 22 short, and finally the best, the Aguila 22 Colibri.

The CCI Quiets were what I thought would win, but I was shocked that the dadgum Colibri's were tops in quiet. I would shoot them in my backyard with my neighbor sunbathing outside. Heck, I'd shoot them in an apartment with a good backstop. (You should not do this! It's still a .22 after all!)

I wasn't able to test penetration, but hands down the Colibris are the quietest ammo you can find today, that I was able to purchase.

Hope this helps someone on a similar quest. If anyone picks up some Colibri and does penetration testing I'd like to see it.

What gun was used ????

quietest 22 ammo you will find period will be super colibri, they are powderless so unsupressed they are already no louder than a bb gun. just be aware they dont have enough force to cycle any simi auto. but in a bolt action or revolver they shine and still have enough power for any small varmint

quietest 22 ammo you will find period will be super colibri, they are powderless so unsupressed they are already no louder than a bb gun. just be aware they dont have enough force to cycle any simi auto. but in a bolt action or revolver they shine and still have enough power for any small varmint

I haven't tried (or heard of) the Super C's until now. The Colibri's are already so quiet it's like gently slapping two flip-flops together. Less than my Daisy Red Ryder BB gun. Several decibels less than a Black Cat firecracker. I'll try some supers in the future.

Also, updated the first post with the rifle type and uh..suppressor choice...

for paper targets the colibri is great, but if you terminal impact, the Quiet Segmented HP make a quiet mess. at 20 yards, the HP start splitting as soon as it hits.

The Colibri is basically a 22 cal pellet in an empty, primed 22LR case, so nothing else will compare for sound.

Back
Top Bottom