• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Quietest .22 Rimfire Ammo

CCI is just releasing the Quiet 22 "Semi-Auto" and is supposed to be able to function a 10-22 reliably. They upped the velocity just a little to get it to function. No idea if they are released yet or not.

Thanks to another thread about subsonic ammo, i've gone in search of ammo i can plink with in the backyard or even in the garage with adequate backstop. And I've found it.

Here's the ammo I tried in order of noise. Left is the noisiest, Aguila Super Extra Short - which sounded like a standard Remington Lightning 22LR, then the CCI Quiet 22LR, then the CCI CB 22 short, and finally the best, the Aguila 22 Colibri.

The CCI Quiets were what I thought would win, but I was shocked that the dadgum Colibri's were tops in quiet. I would shoot them in my backyard with my neighbor sunbathing outside. Heck, I'd shoot them in an apartment with a good backstop. (You should not do this! It's still a .22 after all!)

I wasn't able to test penetration, but hands down the Colibris are the quietest ammo you can find today, that I was able to purchase.

Hope this helps someone on a similar quest. If anyone picks up some Colibri and does penetration testing I'd like to see it.

Rifle Used: Henry Goldenboy in .22LR/L/S/
Suppressor Used: None

Note: I wouldn't try these in a semi-auto because they won't kick hard enough to rack the slide, but for any bolt/single shot/leeeever action rifle you can cycle them fast enough to melt the barrel down and make a new one.

Ok, I'll have to admit that I got a little sidetracked with the neighbor sunbathing and the penetration test.:shocked:

I shoot the 710fps CCI out of an old long barrel Rem mod 34.
The thud of the lead hitting the squirrel makes the most noise.
Much quieter than my 22 cal. pellet rifle.

Ok, I'll have to admit that I got a little sidetracked with the neighbor sunbathing and the penetration test.:shocked:
I bet it's probably not what you think.

wrinkled-sunbather.png

OP - and anyone else for that matter - I've had the Colibri stick in the barrel of my FVSR. Pulled the trigger, heard a pop, but no splash of the round down range. Sure enough, pulled the bolt, looked through the barrel and no daylight at the end of it. Had to use a cleaning rod to push the projectile out of the muzzle.

Maybe I have an out of spec bore or something but it happened once out of 30 or so rounds. Please make sure the projectile exits the barrel!

Correction to my earlier post Remington CBee22 740 FPS 33 grain truncated cone hollow points these will mushroom in a squirrel and are quiet. Hard to find please post if you know where some are for sale.

Attachments

• P1010166.JPG
    P1010166.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 15
  • P1010167.JPG
    P1010167.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 15
OP - and anyone else for that matter - I've had the Colibri stick in the barrel of my FVSR. Pulled the trigger, heard a pop, but no splash of the round down range. Sure enough, pulled the bolt, looked through the barrel and no daylight at the end of it. Had to use a cleaning rod to push the projectile out of the muzzle.

Maybe I have an out of spec bore or something but it happened once out of 30 or so rounds. Please make sure the projectile exits the barrel!
It says not to shot them in a rifle on the box , I have had the same experience but continue to do it make sure your barrel is clean that seems to help .

Back
Top Bottom