• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Quietest Air Rifle

That is one expensive pellet rifle! Do you have experience with PCP air rifles? I don't. I just bought a Gamo Whisper Fusion Mach 1. It is the 1st air rifle that I have had since childhood - many moons ago! It is plenty powerful but not as quite as I was hoping for and definitely not back yard friendly.

Yes. Had tree rats getting into the roof vent one time, and I didn't want to shoot at the roof with a 22 so I tried several spring air guns, but they were either too loud or not accurate so I tried the Benjamin. It's very accurate, and with the velocity adjustment, you can adjust it to get it quieter. I found that 800 to 850 fps was the perfect balance for quiet and still being able to take a squirrel at about 25 yards with .177.

If you don't want to spend the money, here is a chart of decibel rankings for some spring air guns. http://www.straightshooters.com/decibel-ranking-of-airguns.html I just could never get the accuracy level I wanted with the spring guns.

That is one expensive pellet rifle! Do you have experience with PCP air rifles? I don't. I just bought a Gamo Whisper Fusion Mach 1. It is the 1st air rifle that I have had since childhood - many moons ago! It is plenty powerful but not as quite as I was hoping for and definitely not back yard friendly.
Actually, it's one of the more reasonably priced. The only downside is having a way to fill a PCP. Some folks use a hand pump, but I use a carbon-fiber SCBA 4500psi tank. Much easier and faster.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Yes. Had tree rats getting into the roof vent one time, and I didn't want to shoot at the roof with a 22 so I tried several spring air guns, but they were either too loud or not accurate so I tried the Benjamin. It's very accurate, and with the velocity adjustment, you can adjust it to get it quieter. I found that 800 to 850 fps was the perfect balance for quiet and still being able to take a squirrel at about 25 yards with .177.

If you don't want to spend the money, here is a chart of decibel rankings for some spring air guns. http://www.straightshooters.com/decibel-ranking-of-airguns.html I just could never get the accuracy level I wanted with the spring guns.

The key with Springer's is how they're held. Very difficult to maintain accuracy and same POI when changing hold or using them over a rest. I used to shoot competitive Field Target with a high-end Springer and the concentration level is difficult. Although they can be very accurate out to 50 yds or so (1/2" groups), Springers just can't compete at the same level as PCPs.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

image.jpeg

Scroll down to the next to last rifle,The used CMP Daisy 853 that has been rebuilt by CMP.Great air rifle and can be made even quieter if needed and extremely accurate,easy to make modifications to and get parts for.You do not need to be a CMP member to get one and for $120 shipped to your door pretty hard to beat.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/air-rifles/sporter-air-rifles/

For accuracy, distance, soft sound, and power the suppressed PCP’s can’t be beat.

If you shot a lot a fill tank is a must but if shots are mostly at exterminating tree rats and back yard varmints. I grabbed a .25 caliber PCP this spring and the difference from a springer is well worth the up charge and effort of pumping the gun’s tank. After I lost count 40 or so tree rats this summer, tank set for months until the critters returned.

50 yards and further is well within my kill zone. I have got excited, offhand and missed the darn thing and when it stopped where it thought it was safe that was the last thing it did.

Springers are cheap and some are fairly accurate. Shots at 30 yard or so are pretty easy with artillery hold with follow through.

If the budget can’t tolerate a PCP then get a .22 caliber pellet spring air and keep the velocity modest under 1000fps.

How long can a PCP stay pressurized? For instance, if I charged it today, would it be available to shoot several months from now on that same charge? Any thing damaged, etc.

Back
Top Bottom