• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Quota Hunt Etiquette??

SierraOscar

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
105   0
Reaction score
Need some help figuring out the do's and dont's of Quota hunts. I have the next two days left to hunt a Quota hunt at Clybell WMA. I went today and saw a lot of brightly colored marking tape on service road entrances and even looked at one and saw a name and dates I guess they were going to be there. Is this the norm? So I can't hunt where I see the marker tape? I know I can legally hunt where I want but is it common practice to mark an area and expect others to adhere to the sign? I parked in an umarked area and still walked up on a guy and one walked by me like he was on a Sunday stroll and acted like all was cool. I noticed later that these guys parked well away from me and seems like if you park somewhere then try to stay straight back as to not encroach on others. Sorry for the rant but this is my first Quota hunt.

Thanks.

There is no 'seat saving' in hunting a WMA. First come first served. Get there early and have a backup plan. The common way to let someone know you are there before daylight is to flash your flashlight at them. That lets them know that you are there first but is no guarantee they will not hunt right on top of you. Keep your cool and move on. The best hunting I have done on a WMA is in the nastiest thicket you can find. The deer are trying to get away from all of pressure and they head for the thick stuff when the shooting starts.

You have to get creative when it comes to hunting wma's. Those deer ain't stupid they've seen everything in the book.
img.photobucket.com_albums_v716_cwhotrod311_20131122_134847.jpg

Back
Top Bottom