• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Radon - anyone have experience? Fact/Fiction/Mitigation

It appears that evacuation system would be easy to fabricate for WAY less than 1500 bucks....

Completely agree. I decided to go with the contractor because I am not comfortable with putting holes in my foundation or side of my house. It's my one Achilles heel on renovations. I've had such little time to tackle any projects outside of work but wanted to get it done.

I say if you're comfortable with it and have the tools, you could probably do it yourself in an afternoon and $500.

Unfortunately these sensors are not reliable. The only way to get reliable radon concentration data is to perform short-term (48-72 hour) or long-term (approx 3-months) testing and submit the tests to an accredited laboratory to verify the levels of radon in your home. Source: I am an environmental consultant and I perform these studies for clients regularly.
I knew going into it that these are not as accurate as the tests you submit to labs, but it seems to give a good baseline over time. Being that Radon seems to fluctuate with seasonality and weather, it's just a precautionary device. I'll have a standard test done after the mitigation system is installed.

I may hit you up for some Q&A as well if that's ok.

I knew going into it that these are not as accurate as the tests you submit to labs, but it seems to give a good baseline over time. Being that Radon seems to fluctuate with seasonality and weather, it's just a precautionary device. I'll have a standard test done after the mitigation system is installed.

Before dropping the money on the mitigation system, I would perform the long-term testing, while HVAC runs consistently, and see what your piC/L result is.

Absolutely, hit me up in PM and I'll give you my cell number.

As a home builder we started installing a vent pipe for it back around 2005, I think. Plumber would install a three inch PVC from the basement ceiling into the attic, not out the roof. If buyers tested for it and it came in above 4.0, we would mitigate on our dime, prior to closing. I think our guy was charging around 1600. He would core into the basement slab and install that fan in the attic, and take it out through the roof. Two guys, usually about a half day, done.
His installation included a re test, never a problem.

It kind of got to be a well known thing in one subdivision a lot of years ago, so all the buyers would test. It would be over the limit for a couple houses over here at one end, and the rest of that street was clear. Then you go around the corner, and it would be over the limit for a dozen houses. Then it would clear out again. I do remember a few of them coming in at the 10 or 11 mark, most were between 4 and 8.

I never tested this house, that Eco Cube thing looks fairly simple. The tests they were using a few years back needed 48 hours minimum, with no one entering or leaving the basement, locked up tight.

UGA has a program where they send you a test kit for $15. You hang it up in the first floor or basement of your house. leave it hanging for i think 72 hrs, then send it back to them to study it.

As a home builder we started installing a vent pipe for it back around 2005, I think. Plumber would install a three inch PVC from the basement ceiling into the attic, not out the roof. If buyers tested for it and it came in above 4.0, we would mitigate on our dime, prior to closing. I think our guy was charging around 1600. He would core into the basement slab and install that fan in the attic, and take it out through the roof. Two guys, usually about a half day, done.
His installation included a re test, never a problem.

It kind of got to be a well known thing in one subdivision a lot of years ago, so all the buyers would test. It would be over the limit for a couple houses over here at one end, and the rest of that street was clear. Then you go around the corner, and it would be over the limit for a dozen houses. Then it would clear out again. I do remember a few of them coming in at the 10 or 11 mark, most were between 4 and 8.

I never tested this house, that Eco Cube thing looks fairly simple. The tests they were using a few years back needed 48 hours minimum, with no one entering or leaving the basement, locked up tight.
I know this house has had a few tests done that way in the past.

One thing I've noticed is some areas on the slab that could be sealed. That may help mitigate it as well.

UptaCamp UptaCamp The guy is coming out from a few hours away. Already paid a deposit. Even if I did the standard test again, I don't think I'd sleep at night without the system in place. Probably more of a mental thing than a health risk LOL. I will have a standard test done after as well though.

Back
Top Bottom