• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Raised Garden Bed

Our potato plants are over 3 feet tall, and many are falling over (smothering each other & some other plants). Do you guys stake or otherwise support your potatoes? If so, how far out from the base do I need to go to not be poking taters? I’ve hilled them 2-3 times, hills are about 8-12 inches tall on average.

99E9D7BB-7A7B-4979-BF4C-AB5E1176AD1F.jpeg

Attachments

• 17B8B379-731D-4C80-B696-14609526F000.jpeg
    17B8B379-731D-4C80-B696-14609526F000.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 21
Back in too. Wife and I are planning our planting for the next couple of weeks.

We mainly grow squash,zucch, tomatoes, kale and peppers.

We used organic fertilizer last year. This is her first time gardening but she got into it quick when our kale went nuts.

We did some heirloom tomatoes last year but we didnt use any pest control so we only had a few good ones. We're trying to find some good pest control that isn't poison.

Sounds good guys. Calling around to find bulk soil.
Not always worth it. It will have weed seeds.
Lowe's always puts soil, manure, etc on sale on Memorial day. I load up on bags at that time. Use cheap white and green bag for the bottom fill, add thin branches and leaves to the bottom, they will rot in a year. Tree and Shrub soil for the top layer. Add Compost.
Dump you vegetable peelings (no citrus or fruit cores/seeds) in the winter into the empty beds, turn them over. Coffee grounds are good for the soil too.

I built one out of Rail Road ties back in 2001. Had it filled with a big gravel truck full of top soil, that was root and rock free..Then I started to juice it with lime, Miracle Grow when it was on sale and lastly Peat moss..After which I mixed all of it together..It put out like every woman
IMG_0667.JPG
should, I just can't work it any more..At the end of each season I covered it after turning with a breathable black cover...The next season I pulled off the cover and juiced again and turned again before planting..

Back
Top Bottom