• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Raising rabbits as a food source in the suburbs.

I'm strongly considering raising rabbits as a emergency food source. Since I live in a residential area I can't have chickens or geese but I think I can get away with rabbits (You know they're are cute pets and all).

What do you guys think?

I raised rabbit to sell to snake breeders. It's amazing how much food they eat at (then) $14 for 50#. They are nasty, piss on you and some kill their litter no matter what. Put your efforts into something else. Rabbits are more than a dead loss of money. Maybe try raising quail.

my brother wanted to raise rabbits at our house for food he said rabbit meat is better than chicken, so after building the mega rabbit hutch, rabbit food and automatic water system, 3 years later they are his babies he wont kill a one they all have names. my brother is a mean crazy man i have had to get in between him and police officers but around the rabbits they are his babies so be careful not to fall in love with them they breed fast and food gets expensive

Rabbits seem to get a dismal review here. I enjoy farming them, and they supplement our other meat sources well. Our New Zealand herd has been easy to care for for 5 years, and is way cheaper than most of my hunting habits.

Reactions: MRM
Maybe get some quails as well for a bit of variety. I've been wanting quail, not so much for survival, but they are my crack cocaine. Roast em, fry them. Dip them in lemon juice an sugar an salt Vietnamese style. They mature very quickly and lay eggs quickly too. Breed them up in cages and get away with it in an HOA type environment I'd think.

Reactions: MRM
Back
Top Bottom