• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Randall Knife Thread

RugerRob RugerRob one of the problems with Randalls is that there isn't a giant issue of supply, often times if you own one Randall you own several. Maybe we can help bring these knives back in the mainstream it would make for some interesting dealers and maybe swapmeets

RugerRob RugerRob one of the problems with Randalls is that there isn't a giant issue of supply, often times if you own one Randall you own several. Maybe we can help bring these knives back in the mainstream it would make for some interesting dealers and maybe swapmeets

Coming from the folder side with a good number of Hinderer knives I just read on the Randall knives use of Carbon Steel and Older stainless steels and wonder how they really compare to S35VN, 20CV and some of the newer "super steels" that are used in knife making. The Bark Rivers I purchased are A2 steel which seems to be okay but not on the same level the steel used in my folders.

At the price point of the Randall Knives my concern is the steel quality vs and Bark River at 1/2 the cost.

Now if the Randall Knives were made of 3V, S35VN or some of the newer modern steels they might be more attractive at their price point to the younger/newer knives buyers.

Still this being said I will probably be getting a Randall here soon, there are a few models that are just plain stunning works of knife art. The "One" I do buy will just be a house knife for fondle/collectible and I"ll use the Barkies for any action use that may be seen my fixed blades.

Thanks again for the heads up!

RugerRob RugerRob no problem. I think the other side of that coin is that the average person is never going to take a Randall to the limit I've seen people snap Esee knives but they were doing crazy stuff. If the tool is used as intended it will serve anyone very well

RugerRob RugerRob Check out Mitchell Harrison's website he carries a wide variety of models and configurations and is always reasonably priced. He's also an authorized randall dealer. Great guy to do business with. He's out of Alabama but always ships stuff two day priority.
Tunefink(Mitchell) is a good guy....if your buying....kind of hard to deal with, if your selling

Tunefink(Mitchell) is a good guy....if your buying....kind of hard to deal with, if your selling
"Now if the Randall Knives were made of 3V, S35VN or some of the newer modern steels they might be more attractive at their price point to the younger/newer knives buyers."
that IS the problem....we(collectors) are getting older....little new blood to appreciate the "Randalls"
other places of interest would be "Knifetalkforums" there is an excellent Randall section, and another for Behring Made Knives....James is of newer stock, and has many different types of knives....also there is Miles Welze Knives....he has some nice inventory....Gary Clinton is another and I'll go with WWW.captainchrisstanabackraldallknives.com last
Tennite you say....
DSCN0357.JPG
Copy of DSCN0351.JPG
DCP56406.JPG

I've done business with Gary, Mitchell, Mr.kenefick in Connecticut, never dealt with the captain met him once he wasn't too friendly. Duke Mcaa in Florida is a good dude. It my opinion it would be neat to see a Randall made of super steel but thevalueman thevalueman Ive never seen a Randall that was taken to the limit to the point it broke. I have seen some old War dogs that had been worn out used heavily, but never broke. And it's true more young people need to get into Randall collecting voicing for more options is the only way it's gonna happen. But I think many people demand things of some knives that they weren't designed to do. I always carry a hatchet my Randall and a pocket knife when camping because that's all the tools required. Could I be dropped out with my Randall and survive maybe but we wouldn't. Be thriving. Randall doesn't exactly specialize in the bushcraft type stuff.

I've done business with Gary, Mitchell, Mr.kenefick in Connecticut, never dealt with the captain met him once he wasn't too friendly. Duke Mcaa in Florida is a good dude. It my opinion it would be neat to see a Randall made of super steel but thevalueman thevalueman Ive never seen a Randall that was taken to the limit to the point it broke. I have seen some old War dogs that had been worn out used heavily, but never broke. And it's true more young people need to get into Randall collecting voicing for more options is the only way it's gonna happen. But I think many people demand things of some knives that they weren't designed to do. I always carry a hatchet my Randall and a pocket knife when camping because that's all the tools required. Could I be dropped out with my Randall and survive maybe but we wouldn't. Be thriving. Randall doesn't exactly specialize in the bushcraft type stuff.
I could get cut for saying this....BUT Randall, and their 5 year wait, is stuck in the past....why change, if you have five years worth of people waiting...of course, the dealers don't have to wait that long, nor do the service folks. Randall doesn't ever change anything....they may...just may, introduce a new model every 20 years or so...That's why I like James Behring....he's doing stuff that Randall wont. check out BMK knives....here's
12.jpg
one...ivory of course...he made this for me a couple years ago....he will still work with ivory, when many will not.

thevalueman thevalueman I do wish Randall would apprentice more people to cut their time down and that they would take on more custom work. I feel that has been a great loss over the past 30 years of business increased wait no really custom orders. I think the business model needs to be revised .

thevalueman thevalueman I do wish Randall would apprentice more people to cut their time down and that they would take on more custom work. I feel that has been a great loss over the past 30 years of business increased wait no really custom orders. I think the business model needs to be revised .
They lost several very good people a couple years ago...they have had a hard time replacing them...cutting down time in deliveries
DSC00740.JPG

Back
Top Bottom