• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Range etiquette question.

BigMike

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
My social distancing has kept me at the shooting range for the past week running drills and testing out new parts etc. I dont mind helping anybody with whatever they have, I actually kind like it because it gives me a chance to see stuff I might not have been exposed to. This week is seems to range just been covered up with folks with real crap parts and I seem to get called on to help them work it out. My question/gripe is this.....how do you gently tell someone the parts recommended to them by their buddies are junk!? I watched a guy drop his AR twice because the QD sling socket built into his rail was not the correct size and thickness and turned loose. I showed him what it was supposed to look like and he said his buddy said his rail was the best one to get and they had just installed it. Parts are tricky to find now so I showed him and rigged for him a way that works that's not qd. He asked me how to fix it and I didn't know how to tell him his rail wouldn't hold up for it ( it was loose by hand torque.) In for knowledge because I seem to be a target for these folks. If its not a bolt on it's an optic or the gun itself.

If they ask...stick with facts and have a helpful attitude.

I would try to avoid criticizing someones stuff, even though it may be bargain basement. Show them specifics on why one is better and what made you chose it over what they have. Explain why your sling does not come loose and his does (as you did).

If they get defensive at that point, remind them they asked you for an opinion and tell them to go and complain to their buddy, because the stuff he recommended isn't working for them. That's the best I can say...

Either develop balls of steel and tell them the truth, everyone be damned, or pass the buck. Unless I'm getting paid to give counsel or training (not with firearms, but it's a universal thing), I do some fast self deprecation and tell people to find someone who knows more about it than I do.
No good deed ever, ever goes unpunished.
It never does, like Palmetto posted. You might help, or you'll just piss people off. There's no good way to fix someone else's bad decision. And... you're contradicting his/her friend. No way to win that one.

Either develop balls of steel and tell them the truth, everyone be damned, or pass the buck. Unless I'm getting paid to give counsel or training (not with firearms, but it's a universal thing), I do some fast self deprecation and tell people to find someone who knows more about it than I do.

It never does, like Palmetto posted. You might help, or you'll just piss people off. There's no good way to fix someone else's bad decision. And... you're contradicting his/her friend. No way to win that one.

I'll admit I've used the I'm not sure or Im not familiar excuse more than once. I'm not going to be an asshole to anyone on purpose, most of the time, much less to someone armed that I don't know. I'll try a more stern approach without dogging their gear instead of the tiptoe, maybe that will get better gear in the hands of new shooters.

I'd start with evaluating his turtle tracks and if unsat I'd have him begin again.

Any equipment can be made to work it's just effort required on the end user you see.

My question/gripe is this.....how do you gently tell someone the parts recommended to them by their buddies are junk!?
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Back
Top Bottom