Welcome to The Outdoors Trader

Register Now
  1. 10 Year Anniversary Gun Show & Swap Meet - August 29 - Click here for tickets and click here for info!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  3. Featured Listings are working again! Feature your listing on every page for $3 a day! Click here for all the info.
    Dismiss Notice

Range etiquette question.

Thread in 'The Pasture' started by BigMike, May 16, 2020.

1. BigMike

BigMike ODT Junkie! Supporter

Supporter

78   0

Rating
    100%
    My social distancing has kept me at the shooting range for the past week running drills and testing out new parts etc. I dont mind helping anybody with whatever they have, I actually kind like it because it gives me a chance to see stuff I might not have been exposed to. This week is seems to range just been covered up with folks with real crap parts and I seem to get called on to help them work it out. My question/gripe is this.....how do you gently tell someone the parts recommended to them by their buddies are junk!? I watched a guy drop his AR twice because the QD sling socket built into his rail was not the correct size and thickness and turned loose. I showed him what it was supposed to look like and he said his buddy said his rail was the best one to get and they had just installed it. Parts are tricky to find now so I showed him and rigged for him a way that works that's not qd. He asked me how to fix it and I didn't know how to tell him his rail wouldn't hold up for it ( it was loose by hand torque.) In for knowledge because I seem to be a target for these folks. If its not a bolt on it's an optic or the gun itself.

2. 4ssss

4ssss Hunter Supporter

Supporter

5   0

Rating
    100%
    A guy that knows about having the right parts should flat out tell them it's junk if he's asked his opinion. If the owner gets mad, tuff. I personally would rather hear the bad truth than a good lie.

3. palmettomoon

palmettomoon NRA Life Member Wayne LaPierre & Chris Cox Hater Supporter

Supporter

138   0

Rating
    100%
    No good deed ever, ever goes unpunished.

boomdad, lostchild, jeep78 and 10 others like this.
  4. Convoy

Convoy If the wheels ain't turnin' - you ain't earnin'.

20   0

Rating
    100%
    If they ask...stick with facts and have a helpful attitude.

I would try to avoid criticizing someones stuff, even though it may be bargain basement. But show them specifics on why one is better and why you chose it over what they have. Explain why your sling does not come loose and his does (as you did). If they get defensive, then tell them to go and complain to their buddy, that the stuff he recommended isn't working. That's the best I can say...

5. Don231s

Don231s XERB Baby! Supporter

Supporter

47   0

Rating
    100%
    Either develop balls of steel and tell them the truth, everyone be damned, or pass the buck. Unless I'm getting paid to give counsel or training (not with firearms, but it's a universal thing), I do some fast self deprecation and tell people to find someone who knows more about it than I do.
    It never does, like Palmetto posted. You might help, or you'll just piss people off. There's no good way to fix someone else's bad decision. And... you're contradicting his/her friend. No way to win that one.

6. BigMike

BigMike ODT Junkie! Supporter

Supporter

78   0

Rating
    100%
    I'll admit I've used the I'm not sure or Im not familiar excuse more than once. I'm not going to be an asshole to anyone on purpose, most of the time, much less to someone armed that I don't know. I'll try a more stern approach without dogging their gear instead of the tiptoe, maybe that will get better gear in the hands of new shooters.

Gunanddoglover and Don231s like this.
  7. MRM

MRM ODT Junkie!

42   0

Rating
    100%
    I'd start with evaluating his turtle tracks and if unsat I'd have him begin again.

Any equipment can be made to work it's just effort required on the end user you see.

8. emptyMAGS

emptyMAGS The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

25   0

Rating
    100%
    ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

BigMike likes this.
  9. Grub Master

Grub Master ODT Junkie! Supporter

Special Hen Supporter

70   0

Rating
    100%
    I'd be careful insulting someone's weapon when it's in their hands and loaded. lol

Bushwick100 likes this.
  10. FreedomUSMC

FreedomUSMC Tracker

5   0

Rating
    100%
    Try saying

"It's good to experiment with various brands, but personally... I wouldn't put that on my gun."

If that doesn't work, just point and laugh hysterically. Then call over someone else so they can point and laugh.