• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Range Report: Springfield Hellcat vs Sig P365 shootout

araomd

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
59   0
Reaction score
Thought I would start a thread on comparing these guns in the real world. Taking some posts from my prior thread and adding updates.

If you have personally shot both guns back to back, feel free to add you reports also.

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/two-new-toys-in-one-day.2080133/#post-9750294

Shot a couple of hundred rounds alternating guns after each magazine. I am not sure which differences I would notice if I was not constantly alternating A/B every 10-12 rounds but these differences were clear for me:

1. Ergonomics: The Hellcat was a lot snappier to shoot. I am not sure I would have said that if I wasn't picking up the 365 immediately after, but it was noticeable. The Sig was just softer shooting. The front gap of the magazine with the frame is a lot wider on the Hellcat and there is some looseness with the magazine so it was pinching my pinkie. Mine came with an 11 and 13 rd, but the 11 rd had the pinkie extension which is not flush and has a gap. I'll swap out the base plate for a flush one and see if that helps.

2. Accuracy: The Hellcat was more accurate for me than the Sig. Maybe it's my older eyes and the late afternoon dimness, but the white "U" back post with the bright front had me on target much more quickly than the Sig with the blacked out back sights. When I was shooting the dueling tree hits on target were much faster with the Hellcat. I normally shoot with Trijicon HD's so the Hellcat sights were new to me but I really liked them.

3. Trigger: I thought the Sig trigger had a lighter pull with a better break, but not a huge difference. The Sig is also broken in and the Hellcat is new so we'll see how that plays out.

4. Reliability: Shot brass Speer Lawman 115 gr. Hellcat was 100% reliable. Sig had 2 FTF. First was failure to go into battery which I could feel so I hit the back of the slide and it fired. The second time I'm not sure what happened because I reflexively tap-rack-banged and it shot the next round fine. I have not cleaned the Sig since I got it and I am the second owner. Not sure if that was a factor.

5. Both gun mags were difficult to load to full capacity. I used a loader and even then was not so easy.

6. The dueling tree would have been more fun with my G19 or USP-C instead of these small carry guns.

Going to keep carrying my G19 until I'm more comfortable with one or the other. Just my 2 cents worth of experience.

Blood blisters from shooting the Hellcat where it pinches between the front of the magazine and frame gap.

15762519562092688455066469015030-jpg.2399087

Took both guns back out last weekend and shot a few hundred more back to back. I decided to wear gloves because these little guns are not fun to shoot for an extended time. But I don't normally wear them shooting, so it probably changed my accuracy.

All at 10 yards free hand.

Just to warm up. Not sure if this was fair to Hellcat #1 since that was my first time every shooting with gloves.

1Iq3Oc0jLiP829oTRr5dc2NkBKKUURMO0GfCZyZJS23BVIXetaod0-_5IGtqeTI8I7AdggA

Second round. Slow shooting for accuracy. Sig looks more accurate despite my feeling like the Hellcat sights were better:

1CjeEfu2Fg5DZtWRthGhhWS6pnVj7RKEl_TFLPkI3HMOcDNhIR0gcJkH2Ius7wGQX_VdocA

Round 3, still off hand 30 feet. Warming up now.

It's interesting the tighter horizontal dispersion on the Hellcat but more vertical stringing. I think the ball in the "U" sights are easier centered left to right but not top to bottom.

Also shot a group with the gun I've shot the most a G19 (stock except Trijicon HD sights). I would have assumed I would shoot tighter with the bigger gun but I guess not.

1Gx5rsa_omZLGqL2vY5flf4MuIUeXwNSHiae3Na1NVrE5BPKB_4mCv4Gm-lBQwbsOKwkYXg

Last set I took the gloves off since that's how I shoot normally. Hands more tired at this point but I think accuracy increased with both guns.

1cmzHBEkDa_fAsY569DvvkUROR3zRtbpt6PIs-hvyO-DcbKu6xn4qLSSk77Dz_BQgMMXGNg

Shot the dueling tree to get some assessment of speed vs accuracy with both guns. Again 30 feet free hand with gloves on. 6 inch paddles.

Shot a each gun once on each color side in case the color was easier to see on one vs the other.

Back
Top Bottom