• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Range Report - trying to get a rifle to group consistently

GFB

Default rank 5000+ posts
. . .
24   0
Reaction score
ETA - TLDR - A rifle I had trouble getting to group previously now groups well after the muzzle was recrowned at Jarrett Rifles. (25NOV23)

I've had a SC-made Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 257 Roberts for over 10 years. It's been a bit of a problem child because I haven't ever been able to get it to group consistently. I'd describe it as a sort of wandering zero. But the rifle is very handy, the action is my favorite, and it's got a classic look so I didn't want to give up entirely. I've tried different ammo and rings and optics. None of that seemed to work and the rifle became a bit of a safe queen as I moved on to other things.

Because I had pulled it from the stock a while back, I took the rifle out today, backed off the action screws a little, firmed them both up and then torqued to 35 inch pounds. I have no idea what it was torqued to previously. Grabbed some 117 gr Hornady SST factory ammo and headed out back.

Step 1 - Fire 3 rounds at 25 yards from the bench and see if it appears to be grouping somewhere remotely close to the bullseye. This is shooting from a clean bore 1-2-3 without letting the barrel cool.

Good enough
IMG_2811.jpg

Step 2 - Move back a little ways, turned out to be 160 yards, and fire 2 more rounds from the bench to see if it looks like it's grouping.

Ultra-stable bench for scientific experimentation
IMG_2812.jpg

2 rounds in about .8 inches (dime) at 160 yards
IMG_2813.jpg

Step 3 - I need to go adjust the zero and see if I can repeat some consistent groups. That's for another day. Obviously I'm not ready to declare victory just yet.

Could improperly torqued action screws been the problem this whole time and I am just now getting around to fixing it? If so, I'm going to feel pretty silly, but I'll be okay with that if this Model 70 keeps grouping. We'll see.

The groups look good now..what changed
I had it out of the stock to inspect it. The only thing different I can think of is that I torqued the action screws to 35 in/lb using a Capri torque wrench. I have no idea what the action screws were torqued to previously.

Back
Top Bottom