• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Range Report - trying to get a rifle to group consistently

If it holds then probably the action screws. If it doesn't, check the base. If that doesn't, check to see if barrel is free floated. If it is, make sure the stock doesn't flex making it touch. If it isn't make sure its supposed to have a pressure pad in that spot.

That’s what I was gonna suggest.

I got to edit the op with a tldr blurb, I guess.

If you do think it’s the torque on the screws, I would take it a step further and pillar and glass bed the stock then torque to spec. That would definitely tighten things up and / or remove a possible variable. Pillar and glass bedding would be about $200 from a competent smith.

If you do think it’s the torque on the screws, I would take it a step further and pillar and glass bed the stock then torque to spec. That would definitely tighten things up and / or remove a possible variable. Pillar and glass bedding would be about $200 from a competent smith.
I had dropped it off at a gunsmith to have that done and he eventually (several weeks later) decided he wasn't going to do it because he said he didn't think it would help. That said, I think you're probably right and will see if I can find a reputable shop that will take on a job like that. Jarrett Rifles is about the only place that seemed to take any interest. Definitely a little more experimenting due in the meantime.

I had dropped it off at a gunsmith to have that done and he eventually (several weeks later) decided he wasn't going to do it because he said he didn't think it would help. That said, I think you're probably right and will see if I can find a reputable shop that will take on a job like that. Jarrett Rifles is about the only place that seemed to take any interest. Definitely a little more experimenting due in the meantime.

I’ll almost always have my wood-stock rifle bedded. When done properly, worst case scenario is that it did nothing. On all my rifles, it tightened up groups, got rid of wandering zeros, and fixed other issues.

Back
Top Bottom