• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Range Report - trying to get a rifle to group consistently

Buddy had a turd of a Montana Rifle Company rifle that wouldn’t shoot. Roy King of Roy King’s Gun Shop in Adairsville did a great job correcting some issues, and re-bedding it.

Same buddy also had bedding done at Moss Firearms, and it was well-done.

I take back all my advice. The rifle is a turd, it’ll never shoot right, and you can’t kill anything with those tiny pills that the .257 Bob spits out.

I’ll give ya tree fiddy for it.
Aesthetically and ergonomically it's one of my favorite rifles. The recoil from 257 Roberts even in the featherweight is extremely mild. The action is super-smooth. Obviously I am halfway in love with the thing or I'd have sold it already. I put a then-new Leupold on it before they stopped offering a gloss finish so it looks "right" for a Model 70. I have too many lingering projects but, thankfully, I have enough backup options.

IMG_2824.jpg

I appreciate the tips. Bottom line is that Jarrett Rifles is closer to me. Whidden Gunworks is on the way to Crystal River and I'm a Ford's fan; so also not inconvenient. Either one of them has a top-level reputation. All the suggestions are very helpful overall though because most folks are in the same region (not where I live) and someone is going to find those recommendations on here through the search and be all set. Thanks.

I appreciate the tips. Bottom line is that Jarrett Rifles is closer to me. Whidden Gunworks is on the way to Crystal River and I'm a Ford's fan; so also not inconvenient. Either one of them has a top-level reputation. All the suggestions are very helpful overall though because most folks are in the same region (not where I live) and someone is going to find those recommendations on here through the search and be all set. Thanks.

hes the original top tier long range smith. Before it was cool to long range.

Reactions: GFB
Aesthetically and ergonomically it's one of my favorite rifles. The recoil from 257 Roberts even in the featherweight is extremely mild. The action is super-smooth. Obviously I am halfway in love with the thing or I'd have sold it already. I put a then-new Leupold on it before they stopped offering a gloss finish so it looks "right" for a Model 70. I have too many lingering projects but, thankfully, I have enough backup options.

View attachment 3635388

I’m a big fan of the Win70’s that were made in Columbia SC, I’ve always wanted a .257 Roberts, and love the looks of the Feathweight series. That’s a sweet rifle right there.

Update and range report if you get her bedded up!

Reactions: GFB

I’d have Jarrett’s do rifle work for me in a heartbeat. They’ll do a stellar job.

Back
Top Bottom