• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ranges in North Georgia

Spirit O ’76

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
2   0
Reaction score
New to the outdoors trader, hopefully this is a good thread for my question.

Just moved from Alabama to the canton area in north Georgia.

In Alabama we had WMA ranges in the national forests that were super cheap to use ($30/year), rarely crowded, and largely unregulated. You’d pull up to the range setup on a table, set your target and start shooting. Twice in the years that I’d been going there had a ranger come out to check passes. Often I’d be the only one out there. It was almost like having your own land to shoot on.

Are there any spots in the area similar to what I’m used to? I understand canton and cumming are pretty populated but thought there might be a spot up in ellijay or dahlonegah?

Attachments

• 19AD6B90-1D79-41E3-89A9-49CADB32212C.jpeg
    19AD6B90-1D79-41E3-89A9-49CADB32212C.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 61
The best WMA you will ever shoot is in Alto, GA Search for “Wilson Shoals WMA Range”… for me, it is just an awesome place.

AND IT IS FREE! - You just got have fishing or hunting license.
Appreciate the tip, I’ll absolutely have to check it out. Glad to have found the community!

You can shoot anywhere in the National Forest except some designated safety zones around buildings. Have to be careful about policing debris but you should any way. Don't use trees for target backers (which is kind of silly because in most cases some tree some where down range is going to serve as a "backer"

As some one who hunts, hikes, and camps ALOT in national forest, please stick to designated shooting ranges. Zeroing a rifle or function testing out in the woods is cool, but it’s not cool when people are out just shooting. I had a close call a couple years ago and I’ve had more than a few hints ruined by some some jack leg doing a mag dump.

BUT it’s public land and you have as much say as I do...

Back
Top Bottom