• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rank the importance for self-defense

CBAD but is dependent on the situation. Sometimes bad stuff happens regardless of the place. The reason I say B before A is because instead of “martial arts” I believe it should be “physically fit” because you might have to fight off an attacker before you can get to your weapon or God forbid you find yourself disarmed. Not everyone can learn a fighting technique but everyone can do things at home to keep them fit like push-ups, pull ups, and cardio. (unless for health reasons)

Big Cobra Kai guy? Lol I’m jk I have big respect for anyone that seriously knows a martial art.
People automatically think of the martial arts as karate, judo etc. Martial arts can be any form of physical ability to fight. Hand to hand is a martial art. If you look up a list of martial arts, boxing and wrestling are included.

Self defense includes anything that helps to save your life. No holds barred, IMO. That said, is something like Gymkata considered a valid form of MA? If so, does the arena have to be at a place where there's a pommel horse?

To tell the truth the only reason I ever got started, back in college the karate club recruited by having these periodic "free self defense clinics" in which members of the club advertised and lots of people showed up. Well, as you might imagine in college, lots of young ladies showed up for the free clinic which of course drew my attention. From the first clinic in which there were probably 75 people, they recruited to join the club. About 30 people signed up to take the first round of training, what became that particular "class" although this was a club, not an official course from the university. That class was taught by one of the black belts, himself a Navy Seal on sabbatical to get a graduate degree so he was a student at the university at the time. Of the 30 that joined, 3 of us hung in there and "graduated" to join the regular club with our shiny new yellow belts. Of the three of us that made it to the regular club, the other two guys quit within 2 months.

That old navy dude was tough as old shoe leather but he physically did everything he asked us to do and I figured if he was gonna do it I was at least gonna die TRYING to do it, even though I might fall flat on my face in the attempt. Learned quite a bit from him and the regular "sensei" in the main club over the years.

Back
Top Bottom