• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ray Dee Oh ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was addicted to it as a kid back in the mid 1970's. Had a SBE Trinidad 23 channel base station and a D104 mic on a Radio Shack 5/8 ground plane.

My dad was a electronics wiz, and looking at the SBE schematic he figured out how to get 24 channels (and shortly afterwards much more than 24 channels) on the same "23" channel transceiver.

At that time, I had no linear amp. Just 4 watts output (well, maybe a bit higher after I and my Dad tweaked it a bit).

I went on channel "24" and started CQ-DX'ing after tuning the Trinidad to get max output. Got a response from some guy I thought for sure was not far away, but turned out he was in California. We talked about 10 minutes before the skip conditions vanished.

Ended up taking and passing the FCC 3'rd class radio-telephone license not long afterwards at the ripe old age of 16.

Thought it may lead into a career in radio, but computers got big afterwards , and decided to follow that path (as a programmer).

I'm still a software developer, but never ventured far into CB or Ham after that, unfortunately. But I loved CB back then (and radio theory in general). Those were the days :)

I have a ham and 3 CB in the garage and don’t know how to set any of them up. Got them for prep stuff and they just sit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom