• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RBGC Action Pistol Match

Rambler

Default rank <2000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
238   0
Reaction score
This Saturday, May 19 at River Bend Gun Club will be the monthly Action Pistol Match. This match will be all steel. Standard round count of 90 if you don't miss anything. Registration starts a 8:00am, Safety Brief at 9:00am. Must be present at Safety Brief to shoot match. Lunch is provided and there will be door prizes after lunch. Match fee is $20.00. Hope to see some of ya'll there.

There are several class for different pistols:

Open: Optical sights and comps are allowed, unlimited mag capacity.

Limited : Standard service or duty pistol, iron sights, no comps, unlimited mag capacity.

PP : Standard service or duty pistol, iron sights, no comps, 10 round mag capacity.

22 : 22 pistol, iron sights, 10 mag capacity.

1911: 45acp 1911 style pistols, iron sights, no comps, 8 round mag capacity. No other caliber is allowed in 1911.

Revolver: Standard service or duty revolver, iron sights, no comps, 6, 7, or 8 round capacity. Speed loaders or moon clips allowed.

This is a quick overview or the classes. For more detailed info see the link in the above post.

Please note: There is NO hollow point ammo allowed. This includes expanding and nonexpanding bullet designs. Also there is no magnum, +p, or +p+ ammo allowed.
If you show up with this as your only ammo, you will not be allowed to shoot. The chance of splash or ricochets is too great a safety concern to allow this type of ammo.

The prohibition on hollow points doesn’t make much sense to me. JHP’s are ubiquitous in gun games across the country, second in popularity only to cheap coated. I’ve shot thousands of Precision Delta JHP’s as close as 10 yards without issue.

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/range-dangers/

http://tacticalar500targets.com/content/SAFE SHOOTING1.pdf

And one more from an FBI training bulletin:

BULLET DESIGN
A high quality, higher power factored ammunition is essential to reduce splatter. Simply stated, to minimize the size and pattern of splatter, drive the projectile harder. Consequently, a lead bullet with a low velocity is the worst option for steel target training. For safe training, it is recommended that only higher power factored bullets be used. A desirable round to produce consistent splatter is a jacketed hollow-point with a velocity of 1225 fps. Another issue is the “correlation factor.” This generally refers to how well a bullet holds together to give controlled expansion and penetration. In the case of steel target training, the best bullet is a frangible style round. The high velocity, frangible design of such bullets creates a predictable shattering effect on impact.

I have been shooting this match since 2009. This is a River Bend club rule. Our minimum distance on steel is 12 yards. I don't know the reason behind the rules at the club, but the Board of Directors are the ones that make the rules, I just follow them. I did not want anyone to show up at the match and not be able to shoot.

Back
Top Bottom