RBGC metallic silhouette

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
59F52366-2A57-4B40-A2A4-ABC11B2CDAD3.jpeg

I was doing a 600 yard shoot at Riverbend last weekend when one of
the members there told me about a 500 meter silhouette range they have.
I'm not a member and hadn't been to a match at RBGC in 10 years.

So I took a look at the range before I left.

It looks good. And my light deer rifle, .243 caliber,
should be good for using offhand (unsupported standing position).

Do any other ODT folks shoot metal animal shapes with centerfire rifles
at 200-500 yards or meters?

What kind of gear do I need?

What kind of accuracy should I be able to achieve at my 100 yard practice range to call myself "ready" to shoot this M.S. match and not embarass myself?
(I don't expect to win place, or show, or even score in the middle of the pack, but I don't want to be both last AND dozens of points worse than the second-lowest scoring shooter.)

If I could shoot an 8" group at 100 yards offhand (and I'm not saying I can these days) and I knew how many clicks of elevation change I'd need for each of the various distances, would I do alright?

Part 1,

The wife and I are members... we are/should be shooting the next match in September... 2nd Saturday of the month...
You will need a really good spotting scope... You are supposed to shoot with a team member...They spot... you shoot … then vice versa// 5 round in 2and a half minutes... 6mm/.243 is the minimun caliber allowable...
2 gents that we shoot action pistol with, are taking over the matches and trying to reinvigorate interest... They shot their 1st match last Saturday... 40 rounds total, 20 per team member, if you have a 2 person team... you can have somebody just spot for you, if they don't want to shoot...

Part 2.

Chickens are at 200 meters... size 11H by 13W
Pigs are at 300 meters... size 14H by 22W
Turkeys are at 385 meters... size 23H by 19W
Rams are at 500 meters... size 27H by 32 W
You are shooting off hand with NO support... NO sling... This is some seriously tough shooting … Need a really good High power scope...5 to 25... 6 to 24... 8 to 34... crosshairs are your choice.... target turrets and Zero reset turrets almost a must...

Roughly, that means an Offhand 8" group at 100 yards...wont cut it...

Will add more as I think over what your asking and if anything else comes to mind... HTH...

Most beginners are really happy if they hit 5 out of 20...if they are shooting with a team member...
and yes, most folks do come back...

I need more practice before I try this with a centerfire rifle at 500 m.

Based on some .22 WMR shooting I did this weekend at only 100 yds, getting basically a 12" group, I need to shrink that in half.

May I ask why would one choose to shoot standing unsupported a those kind of ranges? It would make more sense to me to be prone/kneeling/sitting with or without bipod/sling, as you would in a real world situation.

May I ask why would one choose to shoot standing unsupported a those kind of ranges? It would make more sense to me to be prone/kneeling/sitting with or without bipod/sling, as you would in a real world situation.
In short those are the rules,this is an NRA rifle sport. It can be lots of fun ,targets shot left to right and the target needs to be knocked down .
The rimfire matches are a great form of practice,Ft Valley used to have some stiff competition.

here are the dates for the 2019 matches:
  • March 9
  • May 11
  • August 10
  • September 14
  • November 9
there will be two matches each date. standard rifle and then hunter rifle. each match will be 40 rounds.

go to http://www.rbgc.org/HPSilhouette/HPSilhouette.htm to see information on the match. the match is open to all. bring out your hunting rifle and shoot some steel.

all nra silhouette matches are shot “offhand”, standing, and unsupported position.

Back
Top Bottom