• View counts are not updating correctly, we are looking into it now. Thanks!

RCBS Chargemaster

I've been using them for years. A couple of important things to know:

1) Don't trust the weight shown when it beeps. You have to let it cycle through the charge count and come back to weight to get the true weight of the charge just thrown.
2) If it is over, the easiest way to fix it is to simply dip the small brush that comes with the charger into the powder to remove a few grains of powder. You'll get the knack of this quickly.
3) If the charge is light, lightly tap the powder tube with the handle of the brush to make a few grain of powder fall into the pan.
4) Once you have done either of the above, count to six to see if the weight will change. Don't trust it just because the "stable" indicator is on.
5) Calibrate the charger before every use.
6) Don't move the charger at all once it's been calibrated until you are done with it.
7) If the weight indicator doesn't want to stabilize easily, check the air currents in the room. Including what direction you are breathing. The scale is very sensitive.
8) Remember to close the damn powder drain port before you put the charger up and double check that it's closed before poring powder in it. Trust me on this. LOL!

Look up the straw trick for stick powder.

I load 4895 for my hunting gun (and thought about doing 100 rounds of that today), so ill be checking out the straw trick in just a few. Thanks for suggestion!

I've been using them for years. A couple of important things to know:

1) Don't trust the weight shown when it beeps. You have to let it cycle through the charge count and come back to weight to get the true weight of the charge just thrown.
2) If it is over, the easiest way to fix it is to simply dip the small brush that comes with the charger into the powder to remove a few grains of powder. You'll get the knack of this quickly.
3) If the charge is light, lightly tap the powder tube with the handle of the brush to make a few grain of powder fall into the pan.
4) Once you have done either of the above, count to six to see if the weight will change. Don't trust it just because the "stable" indicator is on.
5) Calibrate the charger before every use.
6) Don't move the charger at all once it's been calibrated until you are done with it.
7) If the weight indicator doesn't want to stabilize easily, check the air currents in the room. Including what direction you are breathing. The scale is very sensitive.
8) Remember to close the damn powder drain port before you put the charger up and double check that it's closed before poring powder in it. Trust me on this. LOL!

Thanks so much for taking the time to jot down these pointers, I really do appreciate it!!!!!

Seems the McDonald straws are not as big as they once were. I had better luck with a Wendy's straw fitting snuggly.
Before calibration wipe the entire machine with a used dryer sheet to remove any static.
(from RCBS rep), static will affect the highly sensitive scale.
Also, if you pause reloading for 10-15 minutes and when you return the scale shows 0.1-0.4grns and the pan is empty
OR if you notice that the scale does not come back to zero after replacing the empty pan after 50-60 charges,
wipe down and re-calibrate.
Great machine, all 8 recommendations above are spot on.

also, from RCBS: There are some powders that are acid based and will etch the hopper plexiglass.
I have used H4895, IMR4895 and have left both powders in the hopper for weeks with no issue.

Taking these pointers in to account and using the straw trick (since I'm loading with 4895), I have loaded about 100 rounds using it now and I really enjoy it so far.

The straw mod is for all powders.
The straw gets rid oif the rings inside the dispenser that causes inconsistent power drop which causes a lot of overshoots.

I saw where is said not to use it in cold temps. Anybody got a clue what they consider cold? I reload, and planned on storing this, in my utility room which is not insulated nor is it heated/cooled by my AC unit. Don't wanna damage it by allowing it to get too cold out there in the winter or get inaccurate loads if I use it on a chilly day.

Back
Top Bottom