RCBS Die Identification

Clarke123

Default rank <4500 posts
Love Them UGA Dogs!
196   0
Reaction score
WAS: Cumming, GA NOW: Punta Gorda, Florida
I inherited a 3-die set of RCBS dies that are marked on the case as .357 MAG WC
I am trying to identify just what I have (don't tell me to contact RCBS: Apparently, they don't know!) One I have easily identified as a seating die, the other two: WHO KNOWS!
The first pictured is likely a sizing die ... the other ....?

Here's some pictures (Note the close-up of the unmarked die with the expander insert):

20180227_104939_resized - Copy.jpg 20180227_101643_resized - Copy.jpg 20180227_102019 - Copy.jpg

Because RCBS has a rich history of not knowing how to identify their own product(s), I have avoided ever using their dies ... HELP!

Looks like an old set of Steel 357 dies. These dies used to be caliber specific before they came out with the universal 38/357 carbide dies. I believe the WC stands for Wad cutter. The decapping / case mouth flaring die was one unit for these. now the decapping process is incorporated in the sizing die. I don't see the seating die and the decapping pin is missing. I either had or still have a set of these. They can still be used but will require you the lube the cases before sizing them.

RCBS CS couldn't identify the expander ... it is odd! The internals makes sense, the interior diameter of the die body doesn't!
It is about .50 caliber for a (supposedly) .357 die.

However, they did identify the sizer and are sending me a replacement decapping pen insert.

Does the expander screw into the resizing die. If not the it is for another caliber. If it is for a .357 then it should mic .355 between the decapping pin and the bevel. When expanding the shell casing only the lowest part of the bevel actually touches the shell casing.

RCBS has always been the only maker of dies for me. They stand up with excellent service and never charge shipping for replacement parts. Used them for 50 years and only used them for two screw ups which was my fault and no questions asked sent replacement.

The universal expander is 9/16 thread the sizing die is 1/2" --
When the sizer is used as a sizer/expander ( 2 die sets) a 1/2 to 1/4 bushing is used. The expander rod is 1/4 -28 and the expander plugs are 10/32 or 8/32 ----

Back
Top Bottom