• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Re-boring rifles? Anyone done this?

Jes has a good reputation. Simply weight the cost or reboring verses a new barrel. There were some remington classics made in Whelen years ago
I scooped up one of the R700 classics in 35 Whelen a few weeks back. 1988 was the year they made them I believe. I love that caliber! I was at the point of buying a donor R700 in 30-06 and having it rebarreled, and then I found this one on Gunbroker.

Attachments

• 20220823_201416.jpg
    20220823_201416.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 6
I almost went with JES to have my Savage 99 Anniversary model bored out to 338 Federal, but he stated that the 338 Fed doesn't work well in the 99 action. He did say they can be changed to 358 Win but I have my heart set on the 338. I'm still unsure why it won't work, they have the same maximum case pressure as the 308 Win.

I still have the urge to rebore a long action rifle into a 9.3x62, but the economy killed my plans for Montana living so I put that idea on the back burner for now.

I almost went with JES to have my Savage 99 Anniversary model bored out to 338 Federal, but he stated that the 338 Fed doesn't work well in the 99 action. He did say they can be changed to 358 Win but I have my heart set on the 338. I'm still unsure why it won't work, they have the same maximum case pressure as the 308 Win.

I still have the urge to rebore a long action rifle into a 9.3x62, but the economy killed my plans for Montana living so I put that idea on the back burner for now.
9.3x62 is really cool. I have brass for .35 Whelen on hand.

Got to send a few rounds down range with a 35 Whelen that had been converted by JES. Owner had bought it off of JES through GB. Said it was as acurate as anything he had. From that conversation and a bit of research I've still got an old Rem 760 I bought sitting in the safe that I've never got around sending to be done. It's just sort of hovered around the 6th or 7th priority on the gun things to do want list for a few years now.

I've got 100 rounds of 35 Whelen sitting on the shelf and some brass. Got a Interarms Mauser just sitting in 30-06 so the rebore has been on the back of my mind, sure would like to hear from someone who has done it.

Back
Top Bottom