• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Re-crowning a barrel; anyone with a crowning tool willing to rent/borrow out?

ev239

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
4   0
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First off, no I'm no gunsmith, but I'm decent with my hands and I enjoy working on things. I've been bubba'ing an old SKS (not that old to be worth anything) and I'm looking to re-crown the barrel. I'd like to avoid having to drop the cash on a kit I'll only use once so I was wondering if anyone out there (around Atlanta) has a barrel crowning kit (.30 caliber will work) that they are willing to rent or borrow out?

Thanks for the help,
Eric

Not far off. I cut down the barrel of a Norinco just past the front sight base (that sucker was welded on!). It looks good, but I want to make sure the crown is cut true.

Use a brass round head screw to bevel the inside and a file on the edges.Touch it up with cold blue and ur done.

Ok, here are the pictures as promised using a hacksaw to shorten the barrel and the carriage bolt method for crowning. I used a large bastard file to even up the hacksaw cut and round off the outside edge. Then after crowning I used progressively finer sand paper (up to 2500) to make it mirror smooth as you can see. This picture is before I touched it with some cold blue. I didn't want to warn any zombies with sunlight glinting off the end of the muzzle.
[Broken External Image]:
Here's the front sight I'm using now. It's from a Hi-Point 995 carbine and is very adjustable for elevation.
[Broken External Image]:
This picture shows both the front and rear sight. I've got a scout mount on it and am using the metal peep sight from a Keltec SU-16. I've got a micro red dot that I may put on, but I think irons just look right. I still need to cut off the useless rail on the gas tube as it's not solid enough to mount any type of optics on.
[Broken External Image]:
Here's the a picture of the whole thing. I love it's OAL now and with the adjustable stock I have no worries about pull length. I also modified the bolt so that mag changes aren't a hassle.
[Broken External Image]:

Now I need a laser bore sighter to help get this at least on paper before I take it to the range otherwise I'll be throwing a lot of lead downrange (not that that's a bad thing, just want to avoid some of the frustration).

What do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom